divorce & religion

I am getting divorced. Problem is, I have not worked in over 3 years, I have no college education, well paying jobs are scarce around her, daycare is expensive, as well as the general cost of living. I do work, but it just barely covers our needs. I need to file for divorce from me severely abusive husband. I will need a lawyer because I know he plans to take the kids & screw me into the ground. I am a regular church attendee & I tithe- although I do not tithe 10%. Do you think that it would be ok for me to ask my church to help cover the cost of a divorce lawyer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• as long as you are not Catholic
    Anonymous

• yes or they can find you a lawyer who will do it pro bono

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• "as long as you are not Catholic"

The Catholic Church does not look down on people who leave a marriage for reasons like the one the OP stated (severely abusive) in fact they support you getting away from that person quickly and ensuring the safety of yourself and your children.
    Anonymous

• Does your husband attend this church with you? Because I've read people's horror stories on here of turning to their church for help in this sort of situation, only to have the church fully side with the husband. You may have better luck finding an abused women's shelter in your area and starting there. They can probably help you with all that and more.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You can always ask, but I would be surprised if they get involved in a civil divorce, especially if your husband is a parishoner also.
    Anonymous

• OP here- no my husband is not a Christian, he does not practice any religion, unless you count beating me as a religion, since he was pretty faithful to that practice
    Anonymous

• Most churches frown on divorce. You may be able to get help from social services or legal aid.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• if your church doesnt/cant help you call your local YWCA. it would prolly be easier to go to them first. they specialize in helping abused women & their children get away from the abuser. many also have day care centers & apartments that you can rent for very little money (sometimes free). they can also help you find a better job & "protect" you from your ex (if need be).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Never hurts to ask, most churches will help and usually have money set aside to do things like that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• also see if you have a habitat for humanity in your area. they provide housing, child care and legal services. the worse off the better to get help from there. i had to use them for awhile when i was single.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009