Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

divorce & religion

I am getting divorced. Problem is, I have not worked in over 3 years, I have no college education, well paying jobs are scarce around her, daycare is expensive, as well as the general cost of living. I do work, but it just barely covers our needs. I need to file for divorce from me severely abusive husband. I will need a lawyer because I know he plans to take the kids & screw me into the ground. I am a regular church attendee & I tithe- although I do not tithe 10%. Do you think that it would be ok for me to ask my church to help cover the cost of a divorce lawyer?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • sure

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I know that have support groups for women in abusive relationships....Pray about it!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Im sure they would. Regardless of vows, both God and the church would never turn you away b/c of your situation. He obv isnt the same person you made that commitment to. I would talk to your pastor in private and see what he suggests. He will also help you find a safe support group. Best wishes!

    Answer by Steph319 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I go to church faithfully every Sunday,because it is Gods wishes and the church wishes that marriages stay together,while I am very sure your church will supply you with prayer,and support,and offer you assistance for food ,housing, I don't know how they feel about openly giving you money for a divorce, it depends on your church by-laws. Look in your yellow pages,you should find Legal Aid Services for your city.Also,just to ease your mind,your DH may talk big,but,I don't think he want to fully have custody of the kids.Your Pastor will also be able to help you stay safe,brighter days will come for you.


    Answer by lady-t3984 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • ****yes than become a member so if you need help again u know who to turn to!!


    Answer by Linsigirl26 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Another option is to go to legal aid. Many women's groups have attorneys that work pro bono for abused women, but to answer your question, I don't see any reason that you can't go to your church about it. I'm sure mine would be happy to have a special collection just for that.


    Answer by Cin53 at 2:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

  • Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.