How do I manage Christmas this year?

I am scheduled to have a c-section 12/15 and have a 2-1/2 and 13 year-old already. How to cope/enjoy it? Also, my husband wants to know what I want for Christmas. I can't imagine since I will still be recovering from surgery and sleep deprived. Any experience is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• I had a c-section baby on Dec 14 of 2007. I also had a 10 yr old and a 15 month old. I was recovered enough that it wasn't too bad really. I promise you will manage somehow mama.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• First, before my c-section I cooked and froze special meals, and our favorite Christmas cookies. I also froze some cookie dough to bake so we could have warm ones. I had all my gifts bought and wrapped. I stocked up on our favorite Christmas movies, and decided that it didn't have to be that complicated that year. Relax enjoy your new baby with your family.

As for your gift.....what about a giftcard for a new haircut and manicure, maybe a new outfit. Then when you feel up to it, you can go have the full treatment and feel wonderful!!

Congratulations and enjoy your holidays with the new baby!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• awww the christmas baby! I have 2!one dd will be 13 on 12/21 and my other dd will be 3 on 12/07. It makes the holidays interesting thats for sure! the year i had my little one the entire family rearranged holidays for me :)
    my daughter was promised her bday party in february and it went great! She got presents at an odd time for her and she was adjusted to the baby enough to not feel jealous when her friends cooed over her.
    My large family held off our xmas until the middle of January which is something we do now every other year so everyone doesnt feel so rushed and stressed about getting to see everyone. My boyfriends family (he's an only child) came to visit us for a long weekend and helped with the baby and chores after my bf went back to work.
    And honestly the best xmas gift i got that year was from my office - a gift cert to a day spa. I got a facial and pedicure! and an afternoon without the baby in tow!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• easy - stop celebrating that holiday
    Anonymous

• I've never had a c-section myself. But I can tell you that any kind of help that family and friends can provide for the first week would be great. Even if they took turns every other day dealing with the kids. Maybe dropping a covered dish would help with dinner. Don't be afraid to ask for the help or accept it if someone volunteers to do something for you. 

And you can also plan ahead too. Make enough meals for the family for a week and freeze them in individual portions. That way you teen can reheat them after school. Find out from the doc about a bodysuit for more abdominal support to aide in healing (so I've been told). 

Good luck.

Anonymous

• To anon "easy - stop celebrating that holiday," Are you serious?? She has every right to celebrate whatever she chooses.

Her question was concerning enjoying and coping with surgery. If someone can help you out for a few hours during the day that would at least buy you a quick nap. Even if they can mind the 2 year old for you, it will help. But don't stress over it. Everything always has a way of working out.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Maybe you could just be spoiled this year!! My DS was delivered by emergency C section on December 29th, after being in labor for 2 days! I was in no mood for Christmas prior let me tell you. I would go ahead and shop for the gifts and your local grocery store actually makes a decent holiday meal, I was really impressed with the quality and cost! Can your Mom or your MIL come help a bit? School will probably be out, so come on 13 year old, pitch in a bit--maybe Santa will be extra nice this year hint hint. Good luck and happy recovery!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Easy, let him be in charge. Let him do all the work so you can enjoy the holiday for once. It will be a good lesson to the kids that father's do this kind of preparing too.
    Anonymous

• I had twin girls on the 14th of December. I was well healed enough by the time Xmas came around. I got all my Xmas shopping done and presents wrapped before December 5th. When friends and family say "if you need a hand w/baby let me know" or whatever, take them up on that offer. Have them watch baby while you get the grocery shopping done (preferably 2 days before xmas eve) and prep the meal if possible (xmas day of course). The 13 year old can help! Try to get everything done at least an hour before the guests arrive so you can take a little siesta.
    The best thing to ask for Xmas from hubby....tell him to wake up w/the baby a few nights and let you take a few naps during the day.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My youngest was born 12/22/08. At the time, my older kids were 6yr-dd and my twins were 14 months. I spend last Christmas with just my mom and 3 older kids. My hubby and son were 120 miles away in the hospital. I understand how you feel. Oh, I also had a c-section and had my tubes tied. I still enjoyed the holidays. My husband bought me my Christmas the night our son was born and when I went up to see my son and him, I took his Christmas with us.

Ask for something you can use. Mine was a nursing gown and pjs.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009