When you have a miscarriage and you go to see the doctor what do they do?

Do they usually do a pelvic, ultrasound, blood work ect. I was 7 weeks along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They do a pelvic and an ultrasound to see if your cervix is open or closed. if its closed they tell you to wait it out and after you stop bleeding to go to the DR. and get blood work done. Well thats what happened to me. Im sorry For your loss. :(
    HardyGirl19

Answer by HardyGirl19 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Every Miscarriage situation is different. I had two of them, with my first one i was no too far along, but i bleed so badly they had to to a D&C. No ultrasound was done. I had to go to the hospital both times. WIth my second M/C i was 13 weeks along and had blood clots the size of baseballs. There is NO WAY i could have waited that out. I had an ultrasound done and after that a D&C to stop the bleeding.
    Sorry to hear of you loss....know how hard it can be, especially after i had heard the babies heartbeat.
    Anonymous

• For me they did a pelvic exam, ultrasound and blood work. I did not need a D&C. Sorry for your loss.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• they did all and a d&c bc i my bleeding was VERY light and would've taken up to three weeks to pass if then, so they did for comfort on my part. and if you get one ask for or take some stool softener before hand bc my friend and i both had a huge bm after that HURT!!!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies for the answers and kind thoughts. I really appreciate it. I am very sorry for all of your losses too.
    Anonymous

• I was 8 weeks and all they did was have me go in for an ultrasound. They found out what had happened and sent me home. Nature took its course from then on for me, so I don't know what would have been done if it didn't happen on it's own.
    Sorry to hear about your loss! =(
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009