The Top Ten Countries to live in. What is so wrong with them? Why are we scared of learning from them?

The United Nations released its Human Development Index. Out of the top 10 countries on the list all of them had some form of Universal Health Care. So why are some American's so scared of it? I agree we need to really be careful with what we come up with, but is it really such a bad thing or are you just scared of change? or are you really wanting your health care dictated to you by a company that has no reason to treat you correctly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Link?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I am not afraid if I wanted what other countries had I would move there. The USA is a great country and frankly I would not put much stock in a report from the UN. The stats they are provided come from the countries and we don't know they are accurate. Cuba fudges its numbers all the time. Others do as well. If you think one of the countries are so wonderful buy a ticket and move there. We don't need to change our country so much.
    Anonymous

• This is why I have posted this so many times. This is the TAX PERCENTAGE in those COUNTRIES and of course the TAX PERCENTAGE in The US.

Country Single no children Married 2 children
    Australia 28.3% 16.0%
    Canada 31.6% 21.5%
    France 50.1% 41.7%
    Germany 51.8% 35.7%
    Italy 45.4% 35.2%
    United 33.5% 27.1%
    Kingdom
    United 29.1% 11.9%
    States
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Agree anon..

OP really if I so badly wanted what America is not id move to the country where I could get it..I want America though myself..not another version of Europe.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• By all means, be my guest and move. The great thing about the land of the free- if you don't like it then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!
    Anonymous

• I'd be curious to know what exactly the UN thinks makes a country great to live in....I'd be willing to bet they've got a different idea of that, than I do.
    Anonymous

• Ummm ... the source is - hello - the UNITED NATIONS.

Take a look at their ACTIONS, at the effects of their actions all around the world. Human rights, personal freedom, prosperity and simply being NOT MISERABLE are all VERY low on their list of priorities.

Here's a corruption story that even got reported by the liberal media - Oil For Food. Remember that scandal? ... Or how about the spectacularly discredited global warming "scientists" report?

Those 10 countries might well be very good places to live. But I would need to assess for myself - NEVER take the UN's word for it. My values are pretty much polar opposite of the principles which obviously guide UN decisions.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091005/ts_afp/undevelopmentpoverty_20091005115324
    Anonymous

• According to the article this is some fo the criteria they used: life expectancy, literacy, school enrolment and gross domestic product (GDP) per capita.
    Anonymous

_______________

But they did not say the taxes paid by a household earning the country's average wage. I know I like paying my 11.9% instead of France's 41.7%. There taxes are sky high so they can fund UHC.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2009