Nurse Practitioner...?

Does anyone see an NP vs a physician?
I had requested a primary care physician with my new insurance, and the one they assigned me with was too far away, so we figured out a new one. Turns out, she's a NP.

What are the benefits? I'm just kind of puzzled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Health

• I spent years going to a NP bc the doctor was a jerk. The NP was nice, she answered all my questions, she never rushed, when she gave negative news she gave a hug. She was personable and explained things while the dr always seemed annoyed and never explained anything. He just gave orders. I have only good things to say about NPs.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My kids Doctor has a NP there and when they just go in when they are sick they see her i like the NP better like 1st post said she was much nicer and explain thing better and talk more and told in what was going on instead of just coming in telling me whats happening then leaving. so now when my kids go to the DR i ask if they can get seen by the NP.
    Anonymous

• Nurses are known for their caring, attention to the patient not just the diagnosis, and the whole family dynamics that are involved. NP's are very well trained and are very capable of caring for you and your family. You should receive more attention and advise etc. from a NP.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree with other posts as well. The NP at my PCP took good care of me. When my youngest was just 1 week old, I came down with and outter ear infection to the point where I couldn't eat, my jaw wouldn't close and it hurt to eat. She was very careful as to not prescribe anything that could hurt the baby as I was nursing. She did what she could in the office, but she took it one step further by making an appointment with and ENT for me that same PM. The ENT drained my ear and stopped my suffering. Then, early evening, the NP called home to see how the appointment had gone and how I was feeling... I've never gotten anything close to that with my PCP. I will never say no to a NP, they are more personnable...
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 6:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• they just cant prescribe narcotics pretty much only difference
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009