Healthier Pie Crust?

The recipe I called for for the top crust and bottom crust ofa 9 inch pie calls for 2 sticks of butter! I made pot pies for dinner and thats waaaay too much butter!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Replace 1/2 of the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour
    Replace the butter with Earth Balance

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• A cup of shortening is what I always used in a double pie crust. I no longer make pies, I make cobblers instead. They use about a quarter cup of butter, only I use about that much canola oil instead. Much less fat. I heat the fruit, add some sugar and flour, drop the cobbler dumplings over it. I don't have the recipe right here- it is something like a cup of flour, 2 Tb sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, half a Tb of baking powder, 1 egg, 1/4 or 1/2 cup milk, something like that. I can look up the recipe if you like. Bake in hot oven about 30 minutes. My sister used to make pie crusts with oil instead of shortening.

Answer by Bmat at 5:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I never had good luck making pie crust any other way than with butter and full of fat!! Pillsbury sells a lower fat pie crust that is okay. I started using low-fat bisquick and making a pot pie casserole that my family seems to like, I save the good one for the holidays!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I make chicken pot pie and put it on whole grain toast and skip the crust.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I put the filling in our dinner bowls and cover each of them with a crust. That way you only get one crust and everyone gets their own personal pot pie. My kids love getting their own. Also we can put the veggies each kid likes, so there is no wasted veggies.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I use a recipe called "Mother's Idiot Proof Pie Crust". It uses 1 cup of Crisco instead of butter

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Well I was making it from scratch to save money and to eat organically.
    Anonymous

• This is the crust that I use for pot pie; add a couple of tablespoons of sugar for a sweet pie:

Crust (double this if you also want crust on the bottom, I like it better that way):
    1 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    4 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. shortening (I use earth balance sticks)
    3 tbsp. ice water
    Mix all but the water with a fork until shortening is the size of small peas. Add ice water and mix to pastry consistency. Refrigerate while you mix the filling.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• What is Earth Balance?
    Anonymous