are you getting the h1n1 flu shot while pregnant?

i want to but then again i dont bc i dont know how it will affect me or my baby bc it has never been tested before. ugh idk what to do!!!

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no i don't have much longer to go and i don't get the regular flu shot so why this one. besides don't think my health plan will cover it. i have always been healthy as an ox. so i don't worry. i know my body.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• no, i dont have too long to go either
    about a month and my hospital, doctor, and insurance will not allow, administer, or cover the H1N1 shot for pregnant women and most babies because it is a new shot. I also have never had a flu shot before.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Nope. No flu shot for me at all. I'd rather take the risk then get the shot. That's just me though. It might help to know that I do vaccinate my children- just not the flu shot.
    Anonymous

• my doc wants me to get the flu shot cause i'm due with in the next couple of weeks. they can't give a newborn the flu shot or the H1N1 shot. i've never taken either before and i never planned too. but if this could keep my baby healthy during this winter, i will put my body through it. if my baby doesn't get the vaccine through me, he will be put at serious risk. my question for you is this, are you holding back because of you or because of the baby? remember, you body is preoccupied with baby, so your immune system is behaving much different than it would typically without baby. you don't have much of an immune system cause you are fighting for two with one system.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My doc usually waits a year or two before recommending new vaccinations to learn more about side effects first.

BUT because the swine flue is in our town now, he says he'll probably recommend it after it's been out a few weeks.

So, yeah, I wish I could wait a little longer, but it's here, so I'll probably get it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009