ice cream

my daughter says that when she eats ice cream that her lips and fingers swell.i think its cause they are cold she says its not like that...any body got an idea as to what else it could be...ya her lips are real swollen it looks like an allergic reaction to something...

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It does sound like an allergic reaction. She may be allergic to some ingredient. If it is all types of ice cream, then try sherbet of various kinds, without milk. Does she have the problem with regular yogurt (or frozen yogurt?) or with popsicles? If it is a fruit ice cream then it might be easy to say the fruit. You could check the ingredients list when you buy ice cream and do a little detective work. Or check with a doctor, of course.

Answer by Bmat at 6:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I googled it and found that it could be an allergy to MSG, which is also found in ice cream. Here is the site, scroll down a little over half way (the text is darker in the answer I am reading.)

http://www.everydayhealth.com/CS/forums/26/545360/ShowThread.aspx

Answer by Bmat at 6:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• hmm my older daughter has a problem with msg....that is a thought...thanks....or it was strawberry ice cream but i never got the sence that she was allergic to strawberries...i am going to look at the ingredients,...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• She could be allergic to something in the ice cream, some other ingredient . Talk to the doctor about your concerns. You won't know what she is allergic to unless you get her tested.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My children are both allergic to preservatives, especially the gum family- odds are if you look at your label you'll see a few different types of gums. Possible allergy to dye in the ice cream as well, good luck.
    Sarah1220

Answer by Sarah1220 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009