please help!

Every night since my husband switched shifts has become an absolute nightmare. From 5 to 7 my normally well behaved children have begun a bizarre contest for my attention that usually results in me yelling, one or more of them in bed early, no dessert, etc.

He switched to a four day forty hour work week, which means he's gone twelve hours a day. I don't know why 5 to 7 gets so bad, the rest of the day is great.

The kids are so crazy that I can't even take the noise of the TV after they go to bed, I just sit in the quiet.

Any ideas?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 6:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Does he normally fill in the gap at that time? Maybe you should schedule some type of activity at that time so that they know they will get some attention....Watercolors, playdough forming, colorbook time...and only allow them to do this at that time so it becomes a ritual.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Are they hungry? or high on something they ate for supper- sugar, something else that reacts with them? Maybe a pediatrician could tell you if something they ate would do that. Maybe they are ready for bed by 7? Are you stressed or very tired at that time and they pick up on that, which makes you more stressed and tired? You've probably tried it, and you don't say the ages, but could you read to them or play board games or watch a favorite video during that time? Maybe make it bath time. While one bathes, the others get a book, and then another bathes, etc. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 6:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009