Breastfeeding

I just had my baby, and I have been breastfeeding him.

but my milk doesnt seem to be producing. I feed him about every hr 1/2 and he eats really well. I would say about 15 min per breast.

Is there something I can do, or eat?

My milk did come in 2 days after he was born and my breasts were heavy and swollen with the milk, now they are very light and sort of flat, but milk does come out...

2008_MOMMy

Asked by 2008_MOMMy at 6:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you are doing it right... don't give him any formula!! it will make you second guess yourself.

again, you are doing fine. join the breastfeeding group if you have more questions
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• make sure u pump regularly and give it time. eventually u will have too much milk in ther it will hurt.
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• the baby is the best pump. It seems like you are doing just fine. Be sure to drink plenty of water, especially while breastfeeding. Is there a lactation consultant you can have come to your house? The hospital where i gave birth offered that service with my 1st son.
    Anonymous

• you are doing fine momma keep it up!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 7:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Honestly? Everything sounds perfect. You DON'T want your breasts to stay engorged. Are you changing 6-8 diapers a day? If so, then he's getting enough, and your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I will echo everyone else. You are doing great!! Everything you say sounds completely normal!! Do you attempt to wake baby when baby starts nodding off? If not I would recommend you trying to wake baby, usually a burp in between breasts will do the trick. Congratulations on your new LO!!

Anonymous

• u are doing great,if u start suplementing is when ur milk decreases.u dont want to produce to much unless u need to store some,if thats the case pump befor u feed him.sounds like u and baby are doing just fine he is getting plenty
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Keep feeding on demand, you sound perfect.
    (Not sure why pumping was mentioned, ...I kept rereading the OP, no reason for that, anyway!!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I heard eating oatmeal will help mommies make more milk. It sounds like your doing awesome. Good Luck and congrats darling!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2009