I have to have an epidural for a c-section. How bad does it hurt?

I had a c-section before but it was an emergency and I was put to sleep. This time its while I'm awake and I have to have an epidural. I'm terrified. I had my first two natural to avoid having to have one but I have to with a c-section.

kittymccaffery

Asked by kittymccaffery at 7:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is probably a spinal. Usually we use epidurals for labor and a spinal makes you completely numb.

The anesthesiologist will give you a little shot of lidocaine ........numbing medicine kind of like the dentist uses. That will be a "pinch and a burn." Then you won't feel the needle, mostly just pressure as he feels the bones and inserts the needle. He will explain everything to thoroughly and the OR nurse will be with you.

Good luck and Congrats!

obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 7:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• it didnt hurt too bad but i am 2 mts pp and still having back pain
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have had 2 and they weren't bad at all. There was a little of a stinging sensation when they put the initial numbing agent on my back before they put the actual epidural in but that was it. I have had no complications, or resulting back pain from either one.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• it feels like a wasp sting, not everyone has problems like pp
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I don't think it hurt at all. However, i was told by many ppl not to get up after having my daughter because it could make you numb. And stupid me: the first thing i did after i had her, was get up n go in the bathroom n clean myself up. SO My advice: DO NOT GET UP FOR AT LEAST 24 hours. I still have a numb spot where they gave it to me. And its been almost seven yrs. I can poke my back with a needle or a fingernail, and i will not feel it!!! But as for the ep. itself: it don't hurt. Its just a pinch!
    Congrats on the baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 7:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had one c section with a spinal and the other with an epidural. I guarantee you I'd choose the epidural any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It was barely a little pinch and that was the grand total of any discomfort.. It really is the safest way for you and the baby. Try not to over think it. That just makes anxiety worse. If you tense up it will make the whole process uncomfortable. It will be fine..and this time you get to see your baby immediately and without all the grogginess of a general.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009