Should I drop the class?

My algebra class has become a pain. Not that I can't do the work-I took the class last year, but I have to get a B in order for it to transfer to where I'm going in the spring. My teacher is overly picky. He insists on every little step to be showed and half that crap I do in my head. Last year, my teacher was picky, but I dealt with her. This year I don't think I'm going to be able to do it how he wants it done. I''m no sure whether or not dropping the class is the right thing to do and my advisor never talks to me so I just dont' bother with his opinion on things anymore.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't quit! you'll feel empowered with you finish!!!

AVN

=)

kellibelle

Answer by kellibelle at 7:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Don't drop it. It's better to sweat it out and be done with it that to have to fret knowing you gotta do it again next year. I was like that with a AutoCAD class - I finally talked myself into sweating it out. I finished with an A - and I think that pissed the professor off. But I made sure that his assessment reflected what I really thought about his style.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I dropped a class when things were going too fast in an online class and the book wasn't corresponding to the discussion questions. Most of the people ended up dropping the class and only 5 remained. But I have stuck with all my other classes and have done very well even when the beginning was not so promising. If you feel confident take the class, you will probably do fine. Only reason I wanted to try the class *later* was because I wanted to wait for my husband to get back from a deployment for tutoring, since he knows more about Law than I do...
    Anonymous

• Buck up, and finish the class. The teacher gets to dictate how much work to show, so just do it, and get it done.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would only drop if it is within the allowed drop time, or else you end up with no refund of any tuition, you could end up with an F and if on financial aid, you can lose the aid for the next semester. Check with your counselor first. I would just finish the class, show your work and deal with the picky instructor. You will have many instructors that you won't like and you can't keep dropping classes because of it. The reason the instructor wants you to show your work is because it shows that you can follow directions and in certain areas of math, you have to be able to complete all the steps in proper order.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Every math teacher is going to be "picky" like that. Showing work is a requirement of all math classes. It's a requirement of the curriculum at accredited colleges.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I'm perfectly aware that I have to show work in a math class. That's not my problem. The problem is the teacher grades weird and expects every little thing. His teachiing methods are non-existant. He spends about ten minutes a day teaching the class and the other fourty talking about non sense not pertainint to anything algebraic.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2009