Has this happened to you? Things in fridge going moldy.....

So I went to make sandwiches today. The meat (purchased just last week) Was literally blue and green. The expiration date was November 15th 2009. So I keep looking and there are even more brand new groceries not even a week old covered in this odd green and white mold! Jelly, Apple Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce many vegetables and a few other things. I just had to throw away upwards of 50 dollars worth of groceries. Which when you live as tightly as we do is not good!!!!!! I don't know what to do. And last night there was a HUGE puddle of water by our refridgerator.... We just rented this place last month so I dunno if maybe the fridge is broken or what but I am kinda freaked out! I just threw away so many of our groceries!!!! Has this happened to anyone? What to do? I called my landlord and left a message just waiting to hear back.....

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Your fridge probably isn't staying as cold as it should. If it isn't turned all the way up on the dial I would put it as high as it would go until someone came to look at it, they may have to replace it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• if it's your landlords responsibilty to replace the fridge (which it most likely is) i would make him/her replace the food as well. if you still have your grocery receipt then keep it and make a copy.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• you should get a thermometer for the fridge and make sure it is cold enough.

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• So the dial is at 4. And the sodas are all like ice cold. I left the landlord a message just waiting on a call back. What temperature should it be at? I have like a candy thermometer could I stick that in there?
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It sounds like maybe someone didn't get the door shut all the way and it was left partially open for quite some time. I would definitely have them check it out and make sure there's nothing wrong with it, but if the sodas are ice cold, and other stuff has gone moldy, that sounds to me like the door was left ajar. Unless the fridge is just starting to break down, and is kind of working-not working-working. I think the temp should be below 40 degrees, not 100% sure on that. I know about about 50 or so isn't really that good.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Get a new fridge. It may not be working properly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• A refrigerator must be under 40 degrees F or food will spoil. You need to remove the mold spores from the fridge. Take all the food out. EVERYTHING. Clean it with Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol. Bleach does not work well on mold spores. Bleach increases sporalation, which means the chance for mold spreading out into your home is greater.

Tell your landlord the fridge needs to be replaced ASAP if the temp is too high. Don't rely on "cold sodas" Use a thermometer. A candy thermometer doesn't get low enough.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Oh and everything on the top shelf is frozen. I am going to have my hubby pick up a thermometer on his way home. This is so frustrating!!!! Thank you for the advice!!! is it possible the cold isnt evenly distributed since the top shelf is frozen and the lower shelves and drawers had moldy food????
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Do you have a top-mounted freezer? If so, that might be why the things on the top shelves of your refrigerator froze when you turned the temp down (or up, as the case may be) to make it colder. Most refrigerators do not have a seperate control for the freezer & refrigerator, so when you made the refrigerator colder, you made the freezer colder, too. Remember, cold air falls, so the cold air in the freezer compartment is 'sitting' on top of the refrigerator compartment.

And I wanted to add to something to what ecodani said....not only should you clean the inside/outside of the refrigerator, but also any solid containers, like milk jugs or pickle jars, etc. Anything in plastic wrap is probably already contaminated with the mold spores and is a lost cause because most plastic wrap is permeable.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2009