3yr old has itchy feet and ankles only at bedtime...anyone heard of this???

My 3yr old daughter has been having itchiness on her feet and ankle-area only at naptime & bedtime. She has mosquito-looking whelps that she scratches frantically...again, only at naps & nighttime. I have washed her sheets and checked for anything that may be biting her, and still the symptoms are there. Her hands and mouth are normal with no lesions. Anyone heard of this??? Please help!

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 9:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to have itchy hands before I went to bed... turned out I was allergic to our soap! I just noticed it more at that point, b/c I started to settle down and when you are trying to get comfortable, you notice exactly what isn't! Try a different soap or detergent (my little one is allergic to purex so we use tide). Good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Sounds like No-see-um, or what northerners would call chiggers. Try cortisone cream and try and keep her off the grass or off the beach as sand fleas bite to. If it dosnt go away see the Dr
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• actually I learned we all itch more at night. I took this anatomy class and the instructor explained what was going on in the brain that caused that to happen. Bug bites itch more....everything itches more at night for most people. The sleeping process triggers something in the brain that makes us more sensitive. I don't know the specific cause for your daughter but I would continue to pinpoint the source. Bed bugs, dust mites, some sort of allergen? Is she wearing socks or footie pajamas? What about when she sleeps in a different location? Try having her sleep with you. Or at least nap in your bed. This way you can monitor where the source might be coming from. If it is a dust mite or bed bug they like to feed off of dead skin. Use a non scented heavy creme - Eucerin is a good one. Hard to rub in but no loose dry alligator skin for her to have available for bugs to snack on. I would also consult her doctor.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Just as an FYI...kidney functioning and other organ issues sometimes can lead to chronic itching. Very unlikely but you never know is there is a deficiency in her diet or some other obscure factor. Even if initially her doctor is dismissive - sometimes things take time to discover. Keep documenting it and trying to eliminate certain things so that the doctor won't suggest things you have already tried and can start working on what labs to run if that is even necessary.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Restless leg syndrome could be to blame. This is often caused by low iron in children. When was the last time her iron was checked.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• fleas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• athlete's foot?Check her socks and wash with a mild detergent.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son is like this I am taking pictures to the drs tomorrow to have him tested for allergies since there is nothing specific that i know that sets his off, it comes and goes, dif places on the body and now differnt seasons. Cortazon Cream works great for my son.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Does she have socks on all day that you take off before bed time? Sometimes when I go to bed at night and remove my socks after having them on all day, the area around my ankles gets all itchy, bumps and all.
    acrogodess

Answer by acrogodess at 8:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i'm guessing athletes foot try a spray and if she has athletes foot it will relieve the itch instantly this is teh avenue I would try first (since its the simplest and the cheapest) if she is still itchy after that try some of the other things other people have posted
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2009