Runny Nose Help

Courtney has had a bad runny nose all weekend. I've done the booger sucker but that only helps a little because after a few sucks she starts to freak out and I don't want to torture her!! Are there any other tricks to help her? She's 3 months old btw.

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 9:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes most babies cant stand the bulb syringe lol. do you have any saline drops? you can spray a little bit (or even just spray some on your finger) in her nostrils which helps loosen mucous. my son just got over a cold and had a very stuffy nose. since he resisted the bulb syringe and saline drops, all i could really do was constantly wipe his nose with a warm wet washcloth. other methods of helping keep the boogers moist so they get out easier, is by putting a cool mist humidifier in the nursery. you can get the same effect by steaming up the bathroom with a hot shower and standing in there with the baby. one thing i also sometimes do is apply a very small amt of vicks vapor rub (they also have a kids version) on my sons onesie. if you breastfeed, apply some on your chest
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I was going to suggest saline spray as well, but the baby wont like it any better than the booger sucker. It's Not torture Mom, she wont even remember it when she is 2, but will feel so much better if you suck that snot out.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Little noses makes a really good saline solution drops. It works really well and have used it on my daughter when she was about 8 weeks old.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009