Working moms

My husband and I are expecting our first child in March. We sat down this weekend to look at our budget in a very detailed way (we're smart about money, but this time we were really looking in depth). I was thinking after I have the baby that I will need to work, but maybe I could leave my full time teaching job and do something part time (since I don't want to be away for 5 days from my baby). Well, we figured out that I need to make what I make now in order for us to make our bills and pay for our child. I understand that I just need to deal with this and make the best of it, but I'm having a difficult time imagining working full time and being a mom. My husband is like,"I just don't make enough." I don't want him to feel like that... that's not fair. Any tips, advice or people in the same boat? Thanks!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• can you get some decent paying tutoring jobs?
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• or get a job at a daycare teaching prek where you will have free or extremly discounted child care?
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i was going to suggest the idea that you work at a day care where your child could be in your class? that way you would be making some money, hopefully be getting free child care, and be spending all day with your child!

i was in school when my son was born and until he was 8 mos old. i was pretty much working about 35 hours per week. now i'm working full time. i was so scared to start working full time even though i was almost already. but i do get to spend about 30 minutes with him every mroning, and about 3 hours in the evening, and all day saturday and sunday. while i wish i could spend more time with him, i do still get to spend more time with him than DH does so i am at least grateful for that :)

good luck to you! it's really hard to be away from your child but so many moms do it so you should be able to get plenty of support. :)
    Anonymous

• oh and if you are teaching at a school that has summers off, at least you will be able to be off until august when your baby is about 5 months old. that will help i think.
    Anonymous

• you may miss teaching. you couls also part time substitute
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• you could make your husband work two jobs! altough i don't know if that is feesable. personally i would just quit my job and get on state assistance.
    Anonymous

• anon 8:16 - telling someone to just get on welfare isnt a viable solution. who says that? i dont want to work either but that doesnt mean you should just go get welfare. anyways...

as a working mom, we too could not afford all our bills on my husbands salary, it does suck in the beginning leaving the baby. at my job we got 6 weeks paid maternity leave and as much as i missed my son that first week back to work, i sure was happy to be around people who could talk back to me!!!! :) i think the day care sounds like the most feasible way to continue to get the income from working but also seeing your baby throughout the day. good luck.
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 12:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2009