Santa?

what ages are your kids and do they still believe in santa? My son is almost 9 and still believes, he is in the third grade. I am going to let him finsh out this christmas and then break the news to him. I don' t want him to be teased. Is 9 a good age to tell? also how will I keep him from telling his younger sibblings?

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't tell him. Let him figure it out on his own but make it a little more obvious that there isn't a Santa. Like don't go all out to keep the myth going. My kids are 9, 8, 7 and 3 1/2 and I don't make much of an effort any more. I wrap all the presents in the same wrapping papers and use my own handwriting for Santa and mom, lol. My kids don't really notice but whatever.
    My 9 and 8 year olds figured out the Easter bunny wasn't real earlier this year (they were 8 and 7 at the time) so I'm assuming they will transfer that to Santa. My 7 (she's 6 now but will be 7 next month) and 3yo olds still believe. They can all believe as long as they want to and when they do figure it out they still have to pretend to believe to keep the spirit alive for their younger sisters and any of their friends/classmates that still believe. That's half the fun (or, for me, more fun then believing).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• 14, 22, 25 (but he doesn't live at home) I'm 50 and my husband is 53. Of course, we all know the truth, but we choose to enjoy Santa's visit every year. We see Santa as being the myth to explain God's gift of Jesus. He gave his best gift without expecting nothing in return. Santa is that. He gives and gets nothing. We always tied it in to that. I know others choose to explain Santa in other ways and that is just fine. Santa always comes to our house and it is grand.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• its hard but we had that problem w my lil sister 7 and my lil bro 5 she asked me while we were all n the car together and i had to break the news to her and him her ??'s got too hard to lie about lol i think thats a good age
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My dd is 9 and believes. We've already dealt with kids at school who don't believe, and we told her, "Well, that's no fun," or what not, without really saying that he isn't real, just that some people believe, others don't, and that it's more fun to believe.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Sorry, without expecting ***anything*** in return. Typing but can't think.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I personally do not feel it is the responsibility of the parent to break the news. That's one of those things that they hear about at school. It should start as a rumor and then he'll decide whether or not to believe it. You don't want to be the bad guy.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My boys are 2 and 5. I know this might sound bad, but I told my 5 yr. old that Santa is a story made up by a good storyteller....but before I go on I just want to say I struggled A LOT with telling him so soon. I'm a christian and I know the real reason we as christians celebrate Christmas. And I know that telling a lie is sharing with someone something that is not true. Everytime we would watch a movie with Santa in it my oldest would ask me detailed questions about him, and everytime it hurt my heart to have to keep lying to him. For ex. "Why does Santa live at the North Pole?" or " How can reindeer fly?", simple questions that I myself asked when I was younger. I beleived in Santa for a LONG TIME. I think I was in middle school when I finally admitted he didn't exsist. I was crushed. But it didn't make me question my faith. I didn't say to myself, "Well if they lied to me about Santa, maybe they lied to me about..
    Anonymous

• My boys are 13, 11 and 3. My older 2 know the truth- but we still do 'santa' at our house. I also tell them Santa is the spirit of giving.
    Anonymous

• ...Jesus." I know my husband will be upset when he finds out, and my inlaws, but I really did have a problem with lying to my son...I don't like to lie to anyone. I do feel that Santa has taken a lot of attention away from the true reason we have this sacred holiday. We still watch all the Christmas movies with Santa in it, but now he knows that Christmas is about a new life, a new purpose for giving, not recieveing. I love stories just as much as anyone does, but I know the truth also.
    Anonymous

• great answers ladie :) keep them coming..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009