organizing...!?

I really need to organize my dd's playroom. Right now toys are just tossed into large plastic bins, BUT this makes it harder for her to find stuff, thus creating a bigger mess. I'd like to find some cheap ideas for storage and organizing toys so it is easy to find and easy to clean up!

lynda_dora

Asked by lynda_dora at 9:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Just separate her things into simple categories that she understands can easily sort for herself. I separate and combine the most common things together in different clear bins and labeled each bin - (1) Trains set & other small vehicles; (2) Puzzles & blocks; (3) Learning Toys like those that teach you ABCs, shapes/colors, and languages; (4) Big vehicle toys like trucks and planes; (5) Travel toys - like those McDonald toys that you don't mind if they lost it somewhere on a trip to the grocery store; (6) Bath time toys; and finally her toy chest that is only filled with stuffed animals and dolls. Bins (1), (2), and (5) are generally small items so they are in smaller bins than the rest. I tell her "small things go in small bins....big things go in big bins...and animals go in the toy chest." She's 2-1/2 years old and she's getting better at it. =0)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 10:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Cut the toys down to only what she plays with the most. Like 6 or 8 toys. Put the other bins in a closet or garage or attick and rotate them. That way she wont get so bored with soo many choices. Believe it or not kids who have many toys to choose from get bored the easiest.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Heres a few different toy storage bins.

http://www.google.com/products?q=toy+organizer+with+bins&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=9LfKSs7xAtCtlAfk6JSSAw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1
    Anonymous

• I like to use those $3 wicker laundry baskets from Micheals. I am a junk treasure finder! If you can find someone throwing out an old dresser, take it and paint it and use it for toys.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• use smaller sized baskets and shelves and put labels on the baskets. So like one basket could be barbies, and you could store the accessories in a freezer zip lock bag, and you could make the lables big enough so you could but a picture of a barbie or a book on the label so she could know what the basket is for and help clean up. The baskets are nice bcuz they are big enough to store things but small enough that things dont get lost. Watch for sales at acmoore michaels and walmart. For baskets or the square boxes made out of material are nice too. :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009