Teaching s. Nursing

I am currently a teacher, have been for the past 6 years and I am facing a decision. Ohio requires some graduate credits before you renew your licence for the second 5 yr period (for me, june 2011.) So i am just undecided about the field: i love working with kids and teaching but the pay is just so bad! i could work with kids as a nurse, and make 20,000 more a year. When faced with this choice what would you do?

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 10:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• hi, completly in the same boat. i hav emy teaching license in FL. I will be doing a accelerated 2nd degree nursing program for an RN.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• are you qualified to work as a nurse right now? and what would the difference be financially in school if you aren't? really though, if you need that extra money than i'd do what i could to get a nursing degree, but if you love teaching and can make it off what you already make than i'd stay.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• keep ur job in this economy..im a nurse, been unemployed for a month...still looking for work
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Funny, I stopped practicing nursing and am wanting to start substitute teaching at my kids school and maybe even go actually get my teaching certification......just found it amusing :) So really, no advice, except that nursing is a very demanding job, both physically and emotionally, as I am sure teaching is also, you really have to think about being able to handle the emotional part of not only helping, but loss does happen, and it always plays a toll. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It depends on you and if your up to handeling sick children. Some people just arnt cut out for nursing. I think nursing is a calling like being a priest. If you can do it, and not just for the money then BIG Kudos to you
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• How about doing human services or psycology.....they can both require working w/kids & they are in high demand. Meybe apply to The Dept. of Early Learning in you State.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 11:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Have you looked into other school districts that may pay more? what kind of a salary increase would you get with a Masters degree? Would a Masters put you on a differenct career track, like counseling or administration? Some teachers go into textbook sales, which usually pays better than teaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my school has a one time bonus for masters degree, one thousand, that is it.... but they do pay for the schooling - up to 1800 per year to get a masters in education,,, but then you seem to be stuck where you are, no other school wants to hire you in at that high pay level... as far as handling the stress of nursing, i have lost one of my own children at 23 days .... i think i can handle everything if i can handle that.... it is all small beans now if you know what i mean!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If you love working with people I think you would be a terrific nurse and we need more like you! Go for it.
    Anonymous