switch to bottle/formula

Ok baby is six months and I am still breastfeeding. Baby has two teeth and is bitting and I am bleeding. Baby gets MAX 3 hrs sleep at a time at night then the rest of the night is 1-2 hrs only!! I am thinking of either just pumping my breastmilk for as long as I can or switching to formula. I have been attempting sleep scheduling for over two months to no avail. I was able to deal with things until the blood and pain all over again. aany suggestions?

mtk35

Asked by mtk35 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WOW! It's time. If you still want to breast feed then use a pump but I would suggest adding about two teaspoons of baby cereal (oatmeal kind) to the bottle. This should help your baby sleep longer. I know my youngest starting sleeping around 5 hours with the cereal in his bottle. Around 7 months I started giving him a jar of baby food before bed with a bottle containing the cereal and by then he slept through the whole night.
    kittymccaffery

Answer by kittymccaffery at 10:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• that sounds awful. my baby is six months too. i dont know what to do as far as the biting, because she still has no teeth. but i'm confused why your baby only sleeps 3 hrs at a time at night? shouldnt he be sleeping thru the night now. i exclusively breastfeed and my daughter has slept thru the night since 3 months or so. i think a bedtime routine helps. but then again, you say you've tried everything!
    i think maybe you should try tough love, and only pat him on the back when he wakes up, no picking him up.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• When my DS staryed to bite, I would unlatch him say NO & put him in his crib for 10 mins.

I was told if you pull him into your breast, he will not be able to hold his breath & release the nipple

Whatever you do, put him on the opposite side next time.
    Anonymous

• Biting can be solved. Weaning will not lead to better sleep. She's a baby so her sleep routine is normal. Stop by the breastfeeding group for biting relief. Usually, you can tell when baby is about to strike. Stop her in her tracks. If/when she does, press her into the breast and she'll let go. As soon as she does, give a firm no and set her down for a minute. She'll get it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• OK. Step by step.

Weaning won't mean sleeping. Let's get that out of the way first. Nothing will induce this child to sleep unless HE is ready to do so. Scheduling an infant is like herding cats. And you started the scheduling effort two months too early.,..even advocates say not before six months. Three hours a stretch is really pretty good!

So. Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" for the sleep. It'll help you.

Biting. Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group and check out our resources forum for a post titled, "WHEN BABIES ATTACK!" It's how to handle biting. Biting is really a simple problem,though it doesn't feel like it! **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009