babies and cereal

how old was your baby when you started giving them cereal. one of my friends doctors told her to start giving her daughter cereal when she was about two months old. i started giving my son cereal about a week ago and he is 3 months. do you think this is to soon? also my mom started giving me and my sisters cereal when i was 3 months also.

mommyofbrayd473

Asked by mommyofbrayd473 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started at 4 months by a spoon. She had been getting some since about 2.5 months by a bottle (per doctor order cause of her horrible relflux).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• There is no certain age really it just depends on your babies appetite. I started my daughter on it at 3 months and immediately she went from wanting to eat about every 3 hours to waiting about 4-5 and sleeping through the night. My two sons I started at about 5 months and they did well and were both sleeping through the night soon after.
    kittymccaffery

Answer by kittymccaffery at 10:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I didnt-- I used natures rule and the pincar reflex when he could pick it up with the tiny fingers he could eat food-- peas corn and rice (all well cooked) were our first foods
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Really thats really early! How is your son doing with the cereal? I waited until my dd was 4mos old and ive heard of some waiting til 5 or 6 mos. It really depends on when you feel your baby is ready.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• 5mths wic and docs both say
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 10:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• he has been doing really good with it actually i had to start giving it to him because his poop was almost nothing but water. also when i would feed him just formula he would seriously be screaming because he was hungry again within an hour or two. i know i was putting the right amount of formula in it i always made sure.
    mommyofbrayd473

Answer by mommyofbrayd473 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• 6 months is the minimum for solid intro. Doctors are not nutritional experts. Recent studies and experts say starting too early is useless and harmful. I never used cereal. It's gross. There are far better things to start with when baby is ready.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't do any solids before at least 6 months, and even after that we've always skipped cereal and purees. We do baby-led feeding, like what MELRN mentioned. My thought has always been that they have no nutritional need beyond the food that nature provides them until the time when their natural development equips them with the ability to feed themselves other unprocessed foods.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 12:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I gave my son cereal when he was two months old!!!
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I say nothing before at least 6 months. IMO yes, that is too young. My son was about 8 mos before we started anything, and it was veggies. DD was 5 mos, with cereal, but I know more now then I did when she was a baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2009