Is this a violation of the contract? Am I being scammed?

I freelance, and I provided a calendar of due dates and payment dates in a contract, which was signed. Well, I upheld due date 1, but the company did not uphold payment date 1. I've withheld the second item. I'm getting late night emails from the company requesting the info.

1. I don't think I should reveal that I work in my home office at 11pm by emailing back. I try to only send emails 9am-5pm EST.
2. Am I being unreasonable to send an email in the morning stating that I did not get paid?
3. Am I being scammed? This company sells a too-good-to-be-true miracle herbal cure. I'll write an advert for people selling poopy diapers if the pay me. They never even haggled over the price or contacted my references.

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 10:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• WTF? It sounds scammy. Contact them regarding payment at the first chance it's missed, before you miss your next due date and see what the hold up is!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't email them till the morning and also state that your business hours are from 9-5. I would be questioning them about them not up holding there end of the deal/contract.
    Anonymous

• I would CALL first thing in the morning. I also work from home, but try to keep it business like. Many of my clients have my cell. If I pick up my desk phone after hours I try to make them think my desk phone transferred to my cell. You can do the same thing with e-mail and a blackberry. But calling is a better way to straighten out problems. Those long silences when they are trying to think up a believable lie are very telling!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009