Should I still be producing milk 6 months after giving birth?

My DS is 6 months old and has be formula fed since day one. Should I still be producing milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um i dont think so. i tried to breast feed but it didnt work but mine still was gone after a month or so
    mommyofbrayd473

Answer by mommyofbrayd473 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• it's common to produce up till about 2.5 months. After that you might just drizzle a little here and there for about a month but 6 months is a little crazy. Have you tried standing under a hot shower for a while? There's other techniques to drawing out the milk also.
    kittymccaffery

Answer by kittymccaffery at 11:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Ok my mom said try white cabbage leaves in your bra and don't lay on your breast when you sleep and try not to touch them much if they doesnt work in a week there are pills your doc can give you to dry it up.
    kittymccaffery

Answer by kittymccaffery at 11:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Maybe Mother Nature is telling you something?
    Anonymous

• Yes. You're supposed to produce til baby self weans at a few years. Even if you don't use them, they are ready to be used because that's their biological purpose.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• give your baby the milk
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Um, yes?! You're supposed to still be producing milk for another couple of years. Your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

And for most women who have used their breasts to feed, they will retain the ability to produce milk for the rest of their lives. I've read stories of women who haven't nursed in decades inducing relactation to nurse an adopted baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I stopped breast feeding about 18 months ago and every once and a while milk still comes out.

I posted a similar question a few months ago and several moms answered and said it is very very normal to still leak a little even years later.

Anyway like other people have said, try not to touch them or lay on them and hopefully it will dry up soon.

GOOD LUCK :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It's normal. You shouldn't have much in there, but there will probably be a little for a while. If they're feeling full and uncomfortable still, that's not normal. I never completely dried up between my kids, until I was pregnant again. And each time it was about 8 months between stopping bfing and conceiving.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh, it's normal. Milk will continue to be produced for as long as a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009