my 2 yr old wont sleep in his bed anymore

My son slept in a bassinet until he was 3 months old, then we moved him to his crib, now he is in a big boy bed. We have always been able to just lay him down and shut the door and he would go right to sleep but about a week ago he started throwing fits and would not go into his bed. my husband and I are taking turns going into his room and just sitting until he falls asleep. He wakes up at about 1am every morning and comes to my room to get in the bed with us. I dont understand why this has all of a sudden started.... my question is how am I supposed to make him feel better about going into his bed alone again?

jakobsmommy10

Asked by jakobsmommy10 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he had a bad dream? How about getting him some sort of snuggie. Like a blanket or a new stuffed animal. How about one that lights up like a glow worm, that he can squeeze when he is scared. Or a night light if he doesnt have one. My younger sister is 3 and my mom has always had a cd player in her room since she was probably almost 1 and has beethoven or motzart or lullibies and that always helps her. :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• does he have a nightlight? have you just asked him what the problem is? it may be something simple like its too dark or he is having nightmares. if he is having nightmares tell him yes they are scary but they are like a movie in his head so they aren't real. and find something that can get rid of the scary stuff (a spray bottle of water as monster spray, a flashlight next to the bed so he can see when he wakes up at night). maybe put a gate on his door so he can't just wander around at night (my daughter is almost 4 and has one b/c she will just go right on downstairs when she wakes up even if its 4 a.m.) that way he has to call you, if he doesn't have the opportunity to leave his room in the middle of the night it may be easier to get him back into his bed, than it is if he is already in yours.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• he has a monkey pillow that he has to sleep with everynight so he has the comfort toy and a night light. I have asked him if something is making him scared or sad but he is still to young to understand what I am talking about. When he opens his door the baby moniter will make a loud noise so I know when he is opening his door and coming out. Thanks for the input though...ill take all the help I can get!
    jakobsmommy10

Answer by jakobsmommy10 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• maybe try rephrasing what you ask him. when he wakes up at night, ask him what woke him up (my daughters answer usually tells me if it was a nightmare, she'll say a dinosaur woke her or a monster and i know it was a dream, if she says nothing i know shes not scared just got woken by something). does he nap during the day? maybe its time to cut out nap time b/c maybe when he wakes at 1 he's ready to get up but only goes back to sleep b/c you are asleep? try phasing yourself out of his room as well, put him down and sit with him wherever you normally do for a few nights, after 2 or 3 nights move a little further away til you are outside his door than finally outside back to wherever you would normally be. may take awhile but this works for some kids. have there been any major changes for him lately? (new baby, move, new decor in his room etc...) or even something little that wouldn't be a biggie to us but is to him
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son just turned three and he has been going through the same thing for about two weeks. He's a boy that always loved to go to bed. Now he is suddenly afraid of monsters. I'm not sure where he's coming up with this. I don't allow them to watch anything scary. A friend of mine is a child psychologist and she assures me that this is perfectly normal and that most kids go through the monster phase at about this age. I guess all we can do is wait and keep assuring him that there is no such thing as monster and even if there were Mommy and Daddy would never let them in the house.
    Good luck.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• All suggestions are good, and whatever you do put him back in bed. They get used to parents staying in their room with them. Put him back in bed, you go back to bed, put him back in bed and you go back to bed. Has there been any change in your routine, or a new caregiver in the picture? this can be upsetting.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Thanks everyone for trying to help figure this out. We are expecting baby #2 in April so nothing has changed...yet. He has nap time everyday at daycare (im in my last year of nursing school) they say he sleeps from 10:30-12:30 with no problems. He also does this here, over the weekend he went right into his bed and slept. We kept putting him in bed last night and finally he fell asleep, although he woke up at 1am and back to my bed he came. Im really worried that I cant get control over this "phase" Thank you all again for all your help!
    jakobsmommy10

Answer by jakobsmommy10 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2009