This really irked me today..

There is an elementary school afew blocks away from me. I walk by it all the time when taking my dd out.
The play yard is fenced in, and there were 2 teachers walking around monitering the children. But they were doing a terrible job.
There were afew small children on the outside of the fence, and some running around in the parking lot! Someone could easily just grab one and run. I was a few feet away from them. What if I was a predator? What if one of them ran onto the street and was hit by a car?
There was a 9 year old girl abducted walking home from school only 30 minutes from where I live. She was killed. [you may have heard of her, Victoria Stafford]
What should I do? Should I write a letter or email to the school board? Would you be uspet if you knew your child was off school grounds during recess?

It really scares me..

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 11:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Holy crap, yes I would write. Write down the day and the time, too, because they will be able to trace back who was on duty that day and reprimand those teachers! That's horrifying!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i would be pissed!!!! i'd actually probably skip writing and go straight to calling the school, after walking the kids back into the playground and pointing out the fact that they were unsupervised to whatever teacher was supposed to be watching them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would speak to the principal first. They will know who was on duty that day. Then if you still see it as an issue or the principal blows you off go higher. I'm a believer in starting at the easiest level first.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I might send a note to the principal so they can work on the situation. My kids' school doesn't have a play yard. They have a small playground (that they just built last year) for the Preschool-4th grades. But when it is wet they can't play on it. On those days they just run around the parking lot. There are no fences.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Why in the hell are you asking here if you should do something to aid in the safety of children??? That's a no-brainer.

In the time it took you to come here and ask if you should...you could have had it DONE!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Schools are always looking for volunteers to help out. Volunteer some of your time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would call the school and make them aware of the situation. It is easy to forget how things may look to an outside observer. I was in Walmart Saturday. I was waiting for the deli to slice my turkey. There was a young couple behind me with a baby about 8 months or so in the cart. My 3 yr old was making eyes at her and she was smiling back at him. Her parents were standing with their backs to her looking at boxes of doughnuts. I am sure they love their baby and would never think they were doing anything wrong, but I could have easily snatched her from the cart and walked out the door. Sometimes a gentle reminder is better than the alternative...disaster, don't you think?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'd call the principal and make him/her aware of the situation. I'd say something like "I was walking by the school today and noticed kids outside the fence. Is this allowed? The playground teachers did not seem to notice or tell the kids to come back to the playground. I am concerned because the kids could have gotten hurt". That way the principal is aware that there is a problem and can talk to the staff and take care of it. If you see kids on the outside again you may want to say "shouldn't you be playing on the playground?" and then flag down a playground teacher.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• "Schools are always looking for volunteers to help out. Volunteer some of your time."

Ya I am a full time mom to a 7 month old. I dont have any free time to go hang around a school I have no affiliation with...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would contact the school board and let them know what time it was. They will be able to tell which teacher was out there. If there are not enough staff to help out, then the students should not be allowed outside. Take them to the gym or something else. By all means, tell the school system about it.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009