My 6 month old won't poop.

She is 6 months old and has always been good with her wet and dirty diaper count but now this is the 3rd day that she hasn't had a dirty diaper. She still is exclusively breastfed and has had no introduction to solids. Is there something I should do that can help her have a bowl movement naturally or is this something I need to get her to the doctor for? HELP!

mychinababy

Asked by mychinababy at 12:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal for breastfed babies to skip days like this. Don't worry... her body is just using up all the milk and there's nothing left to excrete. The only way you'll know if a breastfed baby is constipated (which is SUPER rare) is if when she DOES have a bowl movement it's small and hard and difficult for her to pass.

Some exclusively breastfed babies don't poop for up to a week! It's totally normal, don't stress :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• check with your pediatrician
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Thank you!! I was getting so worried! I didn't realize that about breastfed babies.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 12:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yup, what Ati_13 said... Totally normal! Constipation is VERY rare in an exclusively breastfed baby, and I hadkids that would go 4-6 days without pooping at that age. Your baby has the PERFECT diet for a 6 month old--no need to worry!
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 12:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Prune Juice Helps. Just diluted it in water if its not baby juice.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Lucky you!!! Yes, breast milk doesn't have anything in it that baby's body is unable to digest. So some babies will eventually acclimate so well to their mother's milk that baby will use up and absorb everything the breast milk has to offer! I was sooooo looking forward to that while I was breastfeeding my son, but I was not so lucky...he has ALWAYS been a 3x/day pooper.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Ah, this is fine. She doesn't need prune juice. A breastfed baby can go 20 days without a poop!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Thanks SO much ladies! This is the first time i've used this Q&A section and it's definitely been a positive experience!
    BTW she just pooped about 5 hours ago, 12 hours after I wrote this. :)
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 7:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009