How do I get rid of my toddler's bad breath?

My 20-month-old son always had nice sweet breath when we were BF. He weaned a couple of months ago and since then his breath has been kind of nasty. I brush his teeth & tongue twice a day with baby toothpaste but his breath still smells. I'm afraid he'd swallow breath mints or gum plus they might be too strong for him. Has your child had this problem? What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LoL...i miss the smell of baby breath too...especially when I was nursing.
    Hopefully its just that he is a big boy now and will start to be a stinky boy.
    Has he gone to the dentist? There may be an issue causing really bad breath. Otherwise, just brush his teeth and make sure he gets plenty of water....then brace yourself for smelly socks and underwear. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• In most cases breath comes from the stomach, not the mouth. I know that sounds weird but bad breath can be a sign of belly issues. Watch what he is eating and make sure he is getting lots of water. Fruits are a great thing for him, but can cause really nasty breath as they are digested, bread will help to soak up some of that smell...

Good Luck

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• may be a sinus thing. Look to see if he has shoved anything up his nose and if your not sure talk to the doctor.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sometimes I stick my son's toothbrush in the mouthwash and give him a quick brushing if he's stinky.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009