Why does race even matter?

I do not understand why race constantly has to be brought up. Who cares what the color of someone else's skin is? Why does it even matter. Skin color doesn't make someone more or less capable of a job, more or less intelligent, more or less likely to commit a crime more or less likely to be successful in life. It shouldn't be an issue period. There shouldn't be more difficulties because of skin color and there shouldn't be more opportunities for one. I don't think there should ever be a time that you should check off your race in a little box. The President is the President no matter his skin color, I think he is doing a poor job- not because I am a racist but because that is my own opinion. And My family has fallen victim to racism I know how it feels. Anyway, just wondering why it is even ever brought up.

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder this often...have even asked this question. What I dont get is on one hand I have been told that we shouldn't look at skin color, that everyone is the same. Yet when color isnt something I notice when it comes to people, I am told that I am over looking part of who people are, etc. Either color matters or it doesn't. It shouldn't matter only when its beneficial to you and not matter when it puts you are a disadvantage.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I agree.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't know,ask the white supremists.
    I find it mindboggling that the KKK is still around.

Oh and the KKK are conservatives,just saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The problem is that people still see color as an issue. The boys who live across the street from me aren't allowed in some homes here where we live and they are aren't allowed to date certain girls because the parents only see their skin color. They're really great boys. They also happen to black (Jamaican Americans). When people see photos of my sons wife they ask me how I feel about my son mixing races. My daughter in law happens to be black. I have a friend whose teen-aged daughter is pregnant and once she turns 18 she and the baby are on their own. Why? Because they are not letting a black baby live in their house. Their flesh and blood and ALL they can see is that the baby will be black no matter what. And let me tell you, they have issues with me because my daughter in law is pregnant....how can I accept a n_____ grandchild. Shallow still lives. Sigh.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh and the KKK are conservatives,just saying.

_________

Were you dropped on your head?

The Klan resisted Reconstruction by assaulting, murdering and intimidating freedmen and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871 the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes. Prosecution and enforcement suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, however, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations such as the White League and the Red Shirts started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing Republican voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to white Democrats regaining political power in the southern states.

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I do not know why color is still used...I am shocked at how many people are so quick to call their own race "traitors" and other unnecessary things! I couldn't believe people would call someone racist just for disagreeing, I couldn't believe people would single out someone of their own race for thinking for themselves and not agreeing with the president. I thought being called a racist was hurtful, but then I saw what they were calling some Black Republicans and I can't imagine how they must feel.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It's brought up because people like to play that card one way or another. Its an issue because people make it an issue. I too think that it's stupid but everyone has to stop making race an issue or the problem won't go away.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The "race traitors" comment is what inspired me to ask this question. Why are they race traitors if they dont support Obama? Why am I racist if I don't? Which makes me really angry because I come from a mixed race family. I have a little brother who was adopted (3 out of 5 of us in my fam were) who happens to be full blooded Navajo. He also happens to be fairl dark. Growing up people assumed he was black and some pretty sad things happened. We were chased by kids throwing rocks at us coming home from school, people said awful things about my mother having an affair and we had our house defaced a couple of times. I am in no way racist, I just happen to disagree with our president. In my mind race doesn't even register until someone else brings it up.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Were you dropped on your head?

No ,I wasn't "dropped on my head" What's the matter? Cut to close to the bone?

I just watched the History of the KKK and in the beginning they were anti republican.You have left out the KKK of the 20th and 21st centuries were/are conservatives.
    The KKK became very powerful and owned many a republican politician.
    The KKK are "Christian conservatives".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You must have been! What channel did you watch it on BET? They wouldn't want anyone to know that their African American president is in the party that started and upholds the KKK.

The only known former member of the Klan to hold a federal office currently in the United States is Democratic Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, He now regrets his past decisions and has apologized...I commend him for changing his ways.

Thomas Robb is a Democrat who rallied against the Martin L King jr holiday. He was the president of the KKK. Martin L King jr was republican.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2009