Is my 15 Month old ready to potty train?

I know it is generally too early but he seems to be showing some signs:
1. He is fascinated when I go potty. he tears of the toilet paper and tries to put it between my legs. lol.
2. He lifts up his shirt immediately after he poops and tries to look down his diaper (he doesnt do this when he pees)
3.I have let him sit on his little potty and he has pooped on it (when constipated and holding onto me)
4. He will sit on his potty for a few seconds and when I try to reward it with a fruit snack, he tries to put the fruit snack in the toilet.

I feel like I am getting mixed signals but I dont want to ignore him if he wants to try? What would you do?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my mom said the best way to potty train is to let them come in with u every time u go to the bathroom & set them on the potty and hope they eventually get the idea. and of course listen if they ever say potty or gotta go. but dont force it, plenty of time
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wouldnt fully try to potty train him yet, all of my kids have done these things around his age. But you could maybe ask him if he wants to go potty when you are or something like that. No pressure I guess is what I am trying to say. But I would wait till he is 2 at least.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I've read that it's not a good idea to potty train before 18 months. Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Can he make it through the night without a wet or poopie diaper? thats the biggest signal, I think.... because if they arent ready to NOT go at night, they arent ready to go at all! It just seems a little silly to me when a parent will potty train their child by taking diapers away during the day and then at night they put them in diapers or pull ups.... I say if you are gonna say bye bye to diapers or pull ups, then you gotta be strong and SAY BYE BYE.... When I potty trained my son, I had to hide the pull ups from my husband so that he wouldnt switch back to them while I was away working my weekend job... Potty training is tough, you just have to remember that there will be accidents.... sometimes many..... but once you have your foot in the door you just gotta get in and shut the door behind you!!! Good luck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son is 11 months old and he started doing the same thing lol well really just tearing off his diaper and flushing the toilet when i potty... lol he has been potty in the toilet we are trying to potty train him just by putting him on the toilet before bath... i potty trained my nieces that way, just put them on the potty before taking a bath sometimes the running water helps if they are scared to pee Good luck to you
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2009