unqualified for home schooling

When is someone to unqualified home school? Do you have to write a test first? What happens if someone really is incapable of teaching their children but want to home school anyways?
I ask because my SIL has decided that she is going to home school. She dropped out in gr 9, has a learning disorder that she blames for everything, can't spell a lick and has no interesting in trying to learn, has never held down a job on and on and on. Despite all of this she just told us she is going to home school her daughter. When asked why she pretty much said she was doing it because then people will have to respect her and all the cool moms are doing it.
I am truly scared for her daughter not having any outside influences other than my SIL. Is there a system in place to prevent truly unqualified people from keeping their children out of school because the cool moms are doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in

• It isn't any of your business. She isn't unqualified to teach and there are many resources to help her. Gosh....
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Each state has it's own laws about home schooling. I home schooled my sons in IN and there are no qualifications. When her children get older she can enroll them in online programs, use tutors, or figure out other ways to make sure her children get an education.

Actually, what the IN Dept. of Education says is that it is none of anyone's business.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• if she doesnt do a good job she'll have to send her back to public school,so i wouldnt worry that much,my mom didnt finish school till she was way older (she stoped in 9th grade) and she is very smart because she loves to read so i dont think that even matters i know plenty of people that got a high school diplomas and im still wondering if they bought it because they sure as heck didnt earn it,same with college it means nothing if you truly arent smart at all,so maybie she didnt finish school but she has a desire because thats what your child does for you.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wish it was true that if she doesn't do a good job she would have to return to public school. But the fact is, no one will ever be checking other than family. Look into educational neglect laws in your state if it turns out she really doesn't do anything to educate her kids. Unfortunately, there really might be nothing you can do about it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Depends on the state. Some are very intrusive to homeschoolers demanding monthly updates, yearly testing of the kids, home visits by teachers. Some require the parents to take a test proving they can teach or have some kind of college degree. And others, like Illinois, have no requirements at all. Here all you have to do is write a letter to the school board saying you are withdrawing your child from public school and that's it. They won't bother you again, testing is optional at all levels. Which is great for "real" homeschoolers but not so great for those parents that are just lazy and don't care.
    I'd give her a chance. Maybe she can do it. My mom never got past 10th grade and thought she was stupid (because her mother told her so) but she wasn't. She was very well read, just sucked at math.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

It's more her business than it is yours. Why? Because I'm sure when something goes wrong someone in that family (and could be the poster) will be getting "please help me...I don't know what I'm doing" phone call!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• sounds like my next door neighbor. homeschooling 5; the ten year old still can't read.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I love how the homeschoolers won't dare discount her ability to teach but if the same person were in a public school teaching they'd flip their wigs and point her out as another failure of the public school system....lol.
    Anonymous

• Check www.hslda.org for your state's laws pertaining to the requirements for homeschooling. Sometimes the parent will have to hold a teacher's certificate, some require the parents to have a college degree, some require at least a high school diploma or GED for the homeschooling parents. In many states there is yearly testing to assure the child(ren) is meeting educational standards.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

what proof do you have that it is the fault of the homeschooling?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009