Does insurance cover the ultrasound pics? Or do they just come with it?

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they cover the ones the drs ned to do to make sure your baby is okay, but 3-d 4-d and you just asking for them, they do not. the dr gives you a referral (for me at least he did) and i got my US....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Ultrasound may be part of the OB fees. If it isn't then it may only be covered if it is considered necessary. I think just about everyone has one ultrasound.

I would not have one unless it is necessary. Despite years of doing ultrasounds there have been no studies done to prove that they cause no harm. We don't know that sometime in the future people that were exposed to ultrasound will be at greater risk of some kind of cancer.

I had 3 kids and only had ultrasounds with the third. That was a high risk pregnancy and the ultrasounds were necessary.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• they cover the u/s but the ppl that does the u/s just gives you the pics.now if you want a video that cost money and insurance does not cover that
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I believe most insurances cover at least one ultrasound and it is typically done around 20 weeks, they are looking to make sure the heart and all other things are developing properly. At this time they are able to tell the babies sex if you want. However everyone's insurance is different. I had to have many ultrasounds over my three pregnancies and have not had to pay for one, but we have full coverage insurance. Next time you are at your doctors office you should be able to ask them when you check out...it cannot hurt to ask.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I was having healthy pregnancies so it was never even mentioned or offered. IF there were a risk, it might have been suggested I get an U/S. But with my pregnancies I never had any.

For the doctors who use them regularly, I think that they bill insurance and privately. (Some are covered, extra ones might not be.)

Do you think there is a worry that you should need one?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• mine did, i had 2 3-d/4-d u/s and a total of 8 i was a high risk near the end and he came at 35 weeks, i had state medicaid/priority health medicaid
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 8:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i think almost all do cover ultrasounds, but you should probably check with your company just to be sure. your provider might have experience with your insurance company but maybe not. like my provider told me that i was covered to have 1 pap test per year but then i got charged and my insurance company says i can only get 1 pap every other year covered :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If what you are asking about is the printouts of the ultrasound photos, there isn't usually an extra charge for those.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think it depends on the insurance. My insurance through work only paid for 20% of my last ultrasound.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2009