my dd is 8 1/2 months when she tries getting into stuff she shouldnt because its unsafe, is it okay to tell her firmly "No, thats not safe" and

kind of smack her hand a little... not hard at all or at all to hurt, but to let her know she cannot touch that.

or is that too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started around that age when my son was tring to get into the oven and fixtures and things that could really hurt him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Nooo smacking. Childproof. If you start saying no and smacking you will have a toddler that hits and that doesn't respond to no. At this age if the baby gets into something it is YOUR fault. The baby should NOT be hit or told no. How would YOU like to be hit and told no when your baby got into things.

You need to read books on child development and parenting. Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary is a great first book.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i dont HIT my child, and i never said i did it. i ASKED about it. i believe letting them know that something is not safe is good and ill continue to do so. i havent HIT her i was asking about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• their attention spans and memories arent that great so she probably gets into things over and over because 1. she forgot or 2. shes testing you to see if you'll give in.

just child proof or remove her and distract her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Better to start discipline NOW rather than waiting until they are used to having their own way and become total BRATS.

Of course it's okay to discipline. Obviously, make sure it's age appropriate..."no", redirection, a tap on the hand if that's what you choose to do, modified time outs.....

Gail needs to read books on manners and not being judgemental.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think the firm "NO" would be enough at this point and redirect. We do the hand slap with my son when he does things that are unsafe... but we didn't start until he was over a year.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• A firm no is perfect. I normally then make sure to remove their hand from the offending object or area and get her attention on something else.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2009