I just saw a cockroach run across my living room floor. What can I do?

I'm so freakin sick of roaches. They were here when we moved in. I have roach baits out in the garage (there are, like, millions in the garage), but I dont want chemicals in my house with my 16 month old who still likes to taste everything. I've seen the roaches in my drawers, in my cabinets, under my sink, IN my sink, on my coffee table, in my laundry, EVERYWHERE.

Is this something I can ask my landlord to take care of? Is there something I can do to get them out? I freakin hate roaches!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Are they those GIANT roaches or the smaller one? Our pest control guy....told us that the HUGE ones come from out large trees in our front yard. They are not necessarily attracted to food or anything. The small ones are the ones that are hard to get rid of and generallly are brought into your house by food and garbage being left out. By previous owners.

I know you said you dont like the chemicals....I dont either. But I gave in and we now have the house sprayed inside once a month......I have seen with my own eyes bugs "hit" the spray line and turn over and die instantly. It was pretty cool...lol.

The pest control guy swears that it can not hurt the kids or pets.....but I still keep my kids up in chairs until it dries....and then I mop it.

Its a toss up.....spray or bugs.....

Just going to tell you the spray is not as bad as you might imagine it to be. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i would tell the landlord, it no good if its that bad,... roaches can cuase ashma for the little one as well, i'd be calling your landlord right away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Keep every surface dry. put out boric acid and bay leaves.

If you have a "no roach" clause in your lease, find a new apartment.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yes this is DEFINITELY something the landlord should take care of..hell we used to get ants here baaad in our kitchen...the landlord not only put ant traps in our kitchen, but started hiring a company to come out and spray the foundation...we havent had an ant problem since...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It is some thing your landlord should take care of immediately, and if not MOVE.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• call the landlord so he can pay for the house to be professionally sprayed.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Me, personally, i am freaked out about any insects that get near me or my house, after seeing that there were roaches everywhere, i would have said something to the landlord about it the first time that i saw them, if your 16 month old likes tasting things, he/she may just end up tasting a roach and you wouldnt like that. The landlord should definitely do something about it and or ask her to have a pest control guy come out and fix the issue. i believe that no person should have to suffer from what you are suffering from. Goodluck with taking care of that issue.
    Kymom1227

Answer by Kymom1227 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We had the same situation, we moved into a roach flled rental house- german roaches, who are the hardest to get rid of, the ONLY thing that took care of them was the company ARROW- I am a "green mommy" and grilled them about the safety of the chemicals- they are safe for children and pets and IT WORKED- COMPLETELY!!! Try them, your landlord should pay- but if theres something in the lease that says in fine print "no roaches" then MOVE immediately- it's a health hazard for you and your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OMG I feel for you! I have "roachophobia" and will scream bloody murder if I see anything remotely resembling a "roach" (ie.cricket, etc.) Thank god, thats not a problem (roaches or crickets or anything else) DH and I don't have in our apartment. It definately sounds like you have an infestation and since you don't want to use 'chemicals', well your only option is to move ASAP..Roaches can cause some serious health problems to you and your family..It's not worth it honestly..especially if you see a roach crawling our of your child's ear like I saw on one of those reality ER hospital shows on Discovery Channel (a dead roach was found in the child's ear)..It may not be "practical" to move but please MAKE it practical..And make sure you shake all your clothes and belongings out before you pack it up cause everyone knows that roaches like to um "travel" with you!
    kimora33

Answer by kimora33 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Ugh i hate them too!! I wrote a post just the other day on them. I got a lot of suggestions saying i should use boric acid. But i love bengal. there is virually no smell and my dad sprayed it not 4 ft from where my DS was sleeping.
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 9:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2009