at what age did you start your baby on cerial at night?

I am trying to find a way to get my son to sleep through the night and was told to put cerial in his formula. at what age can I start with that?

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 5:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you shouldnt give any solids until 6 months. especially do not give it to them in a bottle. spoon feed, if your baby cant spoon feed its too soon for solids. you can though mix it in a bowl with formula.....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I gave my daughter some @ 3 months in her bottle, though I have heard now that you shouldn't until 4 months, if you really feel like the formula isn't enough at night be honest with your babies doctor and see what they say
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 5:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• They say dont start solids till 4 months. And I know many parents put cereal in bottles but I have always only fed with a spoon, we didn't even touch the bottle feeder. But thats your opinion I know many parents that feel differently. As for the age I started my daughter on cereal at 3 months even though they say to wait because milk just wasn't filling her up for long.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 5:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I started cereal at 4 months, in a bowl, for breakfast.

Cereal at night in a bottle doesn't really help them sleep through the night. It fills their stomach faster than just formula, sure. But then after it's run through their system, they wake up hungrier than before because you cut out the calories they need for their daily growth.

Breastfed babies don't get cereal in their milk...why would formula fed babies need it added to formula? Answer: They DON'T.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• They say, he says, she says... no one knows your child the way YOU DO. Statistics and all that stuff is just that. What's right for one child may be completely wrong for the next. With that said, if YOU are comfortable, then I say go for it. I gave my son cereal early.. not to make him sleep, but to soothe him. He would scream like I had just stapled his testicles together.. and he was able to clear 6 or more ounces every 30-45 minutes. He still woke up on schedule, but he wasn't screaming bloody murder. It's a personal choice and decisions, just like everything else associated with parenting. They give cereal to plenty of younger kids for HEALTH reasons... so like I said.. each kid and situation is different. You do what you're comfortable with.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You are never supposed to put cereal in a baby's bottle unless that baby has severe reflux and the pediatrician has told you to do so.

1st - The idea that cereal helps baby sleep longer is a myth. Your pediatrician will even tell you that. Cereal does not stick with baby that much longer than plain formula does.

2nd - Giving cereal in a bottle leads to obesity. Baby eats more than he/she needs without realizing it. Cereal should always be given by a spoon.

3rd - Cereal can make baby gassy and cause a lot of gas pains when laid down right after a feeding. For this reason, I have never given cereal at bed time. I start rice cereal at 4.5 months old by spoon for breakfast, as recommended by my pediatrician.

4th - Most baby's are not going to sleep through the night before 6 months no matter what you do. Many don't sleep through the night before a year.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• (cont'd)

I have a 3 year old, a 17 month old, and am pregnant with baby #3. I completely understand how tired you are and that you are desperate for a good night's sleep. But this entire first year will go by in a blur and these precious baby moments will be gone before you know it. Night time feedings is just a fact of parent hood for most of us. Sure, some parents get lucky and have babies that sleep through the night early, but that has a lot less to do with them giving cereal at night (or any number of things parents try to force babies on their schedules) and more to do with just the difference in babies.

Some babies are fussy, some happy, some sleep well, some don't, some eat a couple of ounces at feedings, some eat a whole bottle. Just keep feeding your baby when he's hungry and being there for him when he needs you. He'll be going off to school before you know it.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have also heard cereal was a myth, but I have to say it worked for both of my boys. I started at 3 months and it worked just great. They have none of the health issues related above. I am just giving you my experience with my boys and what worked for me. BTW- the best way to get baby to sleep is plenty of sunshine, fresh air and movement during the day. A busy baby makes a sleepy baby. This still works for my 10 and 14 year olds- very active, great sleepers! ;)
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Cereal in a bottle to sleep is a myth. However, cereal in a bottle as an infant does NOT lead to obesity!!! That's just insane.

Improper eating habits and lack of exercise is what leads to obesity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Not sure if it was a myth. I gave my son cereal in a bottle at 4 months. He went from sleeping 1:45 min to sleeping 5:30 hours. If you eat a good meal you get tired. Why is it just a myth for babies?

I just want to say something about doctors. They aren't gods. They do not always know the answers. Sometimes your instincts are spot on and a doctor has no clue.

If you over feed a baby they will gain too much weight. Why is putting cereal in a bottle going to do the same? It won't unless you are over feeding your baby.

jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2009