Suicide and Religion

Ok this past week someone that I grew up with killed herself and I personally despise suicide and think that it is the most selfish thing a person can do, but on my facebook all of the very christian people who were affiliated with her keep saying that she is in heaven and a bunch of other things that I personally don't agree with. It has been a while since I really looked at my bible and other christian items because I am no longer christian, but I am just wondering if I am remembering correctly.... Isn't suicide a sin that you can't repent for? Do you think that someone who committs suicide goes to heaven? This has been bothering me so I finally decided to ask other's opinions on the subject.

vchristineg

Asked by vchristineg at 5:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was always told and raised believing that people who committ suicide dont go to heaven. But then I was talking to my aunt one day, who is highly religious, and she brought up a good point. God knows people have problems, such as depression, and he forgives people. So then I started wondering, does he accept some people? Depression is an illness that gets the best of people sometimes and this totally made sense to me. I dont know though. I always wonder about this myself.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 5:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The Bible speaks of one unforgivable sin, and it isn't suicide. We can't say who will make it to Heaven, it is for God alone to judge. God is loving, merciful and compassionate. How can we know that the person didn't repent and ask forgiveness before she took her last breath? How can we know that she was in her right mind? God would surely take all of this into account because He is just and fair.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I am really sorry you have to deal with this in your life. I know first hand the effects of suicide. I am Muslim. and I'm of the firm belief that every sin can be forgiven except the sin of associating partners with God (ie. saying man is god, or the trees, or sun, or moon or money. and worshiping them as a God.etc). But it all depends on the mercy of God. And He is merciful and He is the Most forgiving.

ps. I do not believe she is in heaven. I believe she is awaiting judgment day.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I understand that with certain types of suicide there is an opportunity to repent but she hung herself from her father's buisness building. From my point of view I'm sure that in her mind he deserved that but in my opinion that was her being vendictive to the end. Telling him see what you drove me to... now remember it everytime you go to work. I have no idea the specifics on the situation between her and her dad because I had not seen her since I was probably seven, but to me that doesnt sound like a repentant person. It seems like someone who wanted to do the most damage as she could on her way out. I guess I am just frustrated with the situation and need someone to explain why she could actually be in heaven like all of the people that knew her want to believe.
    vchristineg

Answer by vchristineg at 6:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I guess I am just frustrated with the situation and need someone to explain why she could actually be in heaven like all of the people that knew her want to believe.
    ---------------------------------------------

Isn't it great that God chooses and man doesn't? No one can know whether she was able to repent or not, no matter how things look. God knows the entire situation, we only know what we can see. Do you believe that some murderers, child molesters and others we deem unfit will make it to Heaven? That's what the Bible teaches. God's purpose is to save as many of us as possible. He is merciful, gracious and fair. He'll judge this person righteously. Remember when Jesus was telling Peter what he was to do, but Peter was concern with another person's part? Jesus told Peter, "What is it to you? Feed my sheep." We are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. This person's has worked out hers, for good or bad.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't think that this is something that any of us can answer. Because, for one thing, we don't know that the person who killed themselves didn't repent at the end, after the deed was done but before death occurred.

Also, while some believe that unless you get that last final chance to repent, then you can't go to heaven, and so if the person wasn't able to or didn't choose to repent at the end, then they would go to Hell.

Others believe that those that are sick and not in their right minds are not held accountable by God for their actions, and that the very act of suicide shows you to not be in your right mind.

Personally, I don't think that there's any one answer that applies to all suicides. God judges us all individually, and no 2 people, whether they died of suicide or not, are the same, with the exact same circumstances and thoughts, so God isn't going to judge us all identically.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• cont

I, too, have lost people close to me to suicide, and I've had other people close to me attempt it multiple times. All but one of them suffered from depression and other issues, and the one might have as well, but he did it so he could avoid criminal prosecution for being a pedophile.

I do sympathize with you in this, there is SO much pain and anger and senseless loss that goes along with suicide for everyone left behind.

I am sorry that your friend did this to herself, and to all of you! I hope you and your friends are able to find peace in this painful time!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Hanging is rarely an instant death. There is still a chance that she was able to ask for forgiveness from God.

Also, I agree that where she chose to do it could have been an act of vengeance, but, then again, it could have been one last desperate act - I am NOT trying to accuse her father of anything, but for all we know, he abused her as a child, and the pain from that came out this way, and that's why she chose there. Or it was a desperation, because she was desperate for his love and attention, and what she couldn't get in life she wanted to get in death, and wasn't seeing this as vengeance. Yes, it would be selfish, but then, suicide is, in a way, a very selfish act, done by someone in a lot of pain or not right in the head.

But whatever her reason, again, we don't know that she didn't have time to repent the possible vengeful thoughts, as well.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• As far as why they are saying she's in heaven now, etc - to a Christian, there is basically only 2 places you can go (without getting into the splitting hairs over purgatory, whether we all wait until judgment day or are judged "on the spot", etc). You either go to Heaven, which is wonderful and amazing, and full of love and light and joy and no pain, or you go to Hell, which is nothing but horrible, unimaginable pain, suffering, misery and evil.

It's hard enough to come to terms with losing someone in the physical, mortal sense, especially to something like this, so that some people just can't emotionally come to terms with thinking that they are lost for eternity.

But again, God is love, and he's all knowing. As such, He's going to know your friend's heart, and He's going to judge her with love and compassion.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm not Christian, and frankly, I have never seen a reason to lable suicide as "selfish." But I was raised Christian and that was always what I was taught. That Suicide is a sin agiant God and will not be forgiven. Of course there is a chance that my mother only told me that because I had attempted it... who knows.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009