Should I call the dr. when they open or just wait?

Yesterday morning my 18 month had half a glass of milk and a couple of bites of waffles, then throw up 3 times. After that was very sleepy, wouldn't drink. Took a long nap woke up hungry and thirsty. Was fine for the rest of day just fussy. Ate lunch and dinner and drank some water. Then at 1 this morning and again just now he threw up again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• i would take your baby in :) GL
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Since he's so little, I'd go ahead and call the doctor when they open... it sounds like a tummy bug or the start of the flu. :(

Hope he feels better.

Btw for a belly ache or nausea, you can give him a couple ounces of FLAT Coke... shake it really good to be sure all the fizz is out.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• keep him hydrated; if you have chamomile tea, fix him some to soothe his tummy.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes I would be calling the doctors office as soon as they open.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yes call asap.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Don't give him anything for two hours. At the end of two hours, give him about 2oz of water and wait for 10 minutes. IF that stays down, do it again. If THAT stays down, up it to 4oz and wait for 20...repeat. Once that has all stayed down, give him water to drink as he wants...slowly. If at any time he starts throwing up again, repeat the entire process. The thing is to let his stomach rest from the upheaval and deal with the virus.

After he's kept water down for about 6 hours, give him something BLAND to eat...piece of bread or some crackers. (if he throws up, start over with waiting 2 hours and water) If that stays down, slowly let him eat what he wants.

Watch for diarrhea. Keep in mind the virus is spread through feces, so be sure to sanitize hands, changing areas, etc....Watch for dehydration. Call the doctor for advice, but I don't think he NEEDS to go in unless the doc wants to your toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my little was was feeling bad for half a day, i called and nurse said SO MUCh was going around, hard to say what it could be, mine was better soon and did not throw up. i always call and at least speak to the peds nurse, just to make sure that something really nasty is not in your area, nurse also reassres me what to watch for and they always add that i can bring her in if i think necessary, i think it is going to be a long flu/cold season

call when they open, bring in if you think necessary

hope your little one is better today!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would call and talk to a nurse. If they think that you should bring him in then i would do it. But he could just be a little sick. It happens. I hope he is feeling better soon. But try just giving him water so he stays hydrated. And crackers. But it wouldnt hurt to give the doctors office a call.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2009