should I take my 7 month old to the DR. Opinion please...

He has had a low grade fever and cranky for 3 days now. I am afraid I will do more harm to take him in being around all the sick kids in the office. Especially if he's just teething. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Low grade fever is probably coming from teething. As long as there are no other symptoms, just a low grade give Tylenol and wait it out. If other symptoms develop, you should call the doctor. I know what you mean about exposing him to other really sick kids at the doctors office. Sometimes they come home from doctors offices even sicker. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't... you can just keep an eye on it at home. Make sure he's drinking well and if he seems to be getting more sick or the fevers last a week then I would go.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• With this being flu season, I would only take my LO to the pediatrician if I thought that he needed a prescription in order to get well. A low grade fever and fussiness is not enough of a concern to go to the pediatrician right now. If his fever goes up or he starts to act really lethargic or not like himself, then you should see the dr.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about taking him in.A low grade fever is common when teething. And him being fussy could just be because of that also. Tylonel will help with the teething pain and the fever but if the fever spikes then take him in. I wouldnt take my son in for a low fever and have him around a bunch of sick kids. He would come home with something worse then when we left. Just give him some warm baths to help him feel better. For teething the baby oragel works wonders for me. Good luck and hope things get better soon.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't take him in. Not for low grade (anything over 100). Just keep an eye on him.

The low fever and crankiness may mean he's coming down with something..or it could be the extent of it. Teething doesn't cause fevers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Teething doesn't cause fevers.
    ______________________________

In some babies it DOES cause a fever.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 11:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2009