My son has a medical problem

We know he has hypothyriodism but something else is going on.I will list his symptoms and what the dr will be checking for next but some idea would help out alot.He is 15 yrs old he hasn't started puberty yet,his hands and feet ,toenails,finger nails and teeth are peeling,he has constapation so bad that his medication doesn't always work,he has grown 2 inches in the last 4 yrs.He is 5 ft tall and might weigh 80 lbs.He was up to 88 lbs but has lost alot of weight and back to looking half starved.His last blood work showed his vitamin and mineral satration is down,thyriod count is down again,his testarone level is below normal but his sodium,blood sugar and calcium is high.He has no protien in his urine and the dr has ruled out diabiets.That what we know so far.He goes back into the specialist on oct 22nd they will be checking for growth hormone defiency

LuAnne156

Asked by LuAnne156 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm sorry about your son.

All three of my sons have life-threatening medical problems. They only had a 64% chance of surviving 20 years with common variable immune deficiency. The oldest will be 30 on Thursday, the middle one is 26, and the youngest is 21. They all have asthma. The youngest had developmental delays and has a low IQ. He has bipolar disorder.

My youngest did wierd growing things. He grew too fast. He grew so fast he has horrible stretch marks. We had to go to the doctors like once a week to keep measuring him. They were afraid he had Marfan's syndrom. He is now 6'2" and weighs like 120. His waist is 30". For his height is should be something like 36".

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your son. My son at age 4 was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficentcy. He takes nightly injections of HGH called Humatrope. If you have any questions or someone to talk at feel free to message me anytime. Luckily we have been blessed with 3 really great endocrinologists (moved twice since this has started) and he's now growing like a weed. Also have him enrolled in a followup program at MUSC. At the start he was 5 and was wearing a 3t and looked much younger. Now at 13 his bone age is now on track and to say he likes to say I'm almost as tall as my mom. Ha if he only knew 5'2" was nothing to be proud of. lol. ;)
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• There was a boy in my son's scout troop that sounds about your son's size. His goal was to be bigger than me and be a Marine. I was 5'2" and 100 pounds. He got a just little bigger than me, just big enough to be a Marine. He did not have any medical problems, he was just small.

It sounds like your son has growth hormone deficiency. If so he will have to have injections every day. They are nearly painless. It is expensive, $10,000 - $14,000 a year. The genetic disease I have costs more than that a month. Depending on the state you live in, your family income, and your insurance he may get Medicaid or some kind of state insurance.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm lucky my insurance covers all costs of it. But it's 500 a vial. One vial lasts slightly over a week on his current dose.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Has he been tested for food allergies? Celiac disease? Ask for a Food Panel RAST test for IgE & IgG. If his intestines have been damaged, then his body can't absorb the nutrients from food. So even though he is eating, his body is starving.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• He has been checked for food allergies and he has none that showed up.I never thought of celiac disease.I will talk to his dr about that.
    LuAnne156

Answer by LuAnne156 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009