When a wedding invite requests "adults only please"...why do some people insist on bringing their kids anyway?

My sisters wedding was this weekend. It was an adult only wedding. Several people ignored her request to not bring children and brought theirs anyway. Then, the people who had kids and left them at home, were upset thinking that she had allowed some people to bring their kids, but not others. My poor sister had more stress than any bride should because of this drama. Her "no kids" policy was due to money more than anything else, but it doesn't matter..its her wedding and her rules! Would you be upset if asked to leave kids at home? Why do people behave this way?

jlm202610

Asked by jlm202610 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• i've never been asked to leave my kids at home so im not really sure if i'd be upset if someone actually did ask that of me.

i'd imagine the only reason why some pple did bring their kids is because they might be close to her and thought she didnt mind. Same reason why i dont take my shoes of in my sister's house even though she says to and she also has a sign up that clearly reads "take your shoes off", i feel i dont have to and i ignore it cause she wouldnt mind...im her sis. She has brought it up to me that i should but i guess now your sis cant take that moment back.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Our wedding was Adults only. Yes, some people didn't come because they were offended, but those are the people who didn't want to be there for us - they wanted to be there for the party and food! I agree totally with the no kids rule -- at least for the ceremony. Ours was a very formal, large, Catholic ceremony and I knew some of the kids that would have been there would have ran to the alter in a blink of a second!!!

I can't believe your sister had to deal with that on her wedding day -- people have no class.
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 10:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Why did your sister have to deal with the drama from those parents who were mad.....why was it even brought up to her? Those people who bitched to her on her wedding day have no class either.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I love kid free weddings. I usually leave my kids at home for weddings, unless it is a family wedding.
    My sister is getting married on Oct 16th and there will be at least 25 kids there. I have asked my inlaws to come pick up the kids after the ceremony so that my dh and I can enjoy ourselves and not worry about our three kids running amok.
    Your sis shouldn't worry about those who were mad they couldn't bring their kids. She should have thanked them for following her wishes.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• so if it was a kid free wedding who did she have as a flower girl, and ring barrer. i couldn't even imagine on having a kid free wedding. i love kids!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't recall if i've ever been invited to a no kids function, but if so, i would not be offended at all (as long as it just wasn't my kid not allowed). My kid is very well behaved, but i can totally understand why people wouldn't want all kids there. Some parents, especailly at wedding receptions, let their kids run wild and be wild. This is not enjoyable for other guests either.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• "so if it was a kid free wedding who did she have as a flower girl, and ring barrer. i couldn't even imagine on having a kid free wedding. i love kids!!!"

You are probably the chick who is bringing her kids to a kid free wedding. UGH!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I've done a few "adult only" parties in the past and had a similar issue, only I was not as nice as your sister, I did not let them past my doorstep. I politely apologized that there is a no kid rule (which was told before they came) and I told them I will not allow children near adults who drink, use adult language, and play adult games.

Your sister should have had brothers, brother in-laws, uncles, her father, basically some "guys" to monitor her wedding and let those that go against her wishes to leave. It would have erased the drama since if they went against her wishes on her day then she could smooth it over later one on one after her wedding. I feel for her, yeah some people are not so respectful to others and I don't have an answer as to why, especially if it's concerning their own children.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• ***so if it was a kid free wedding who did she have as a flower girl, and ring barrer. i couldn't even imagine on having a kid free wedding. i love kids!!!***

Not picking on you anon, just wanted to let you know I didn't have a ring bearer or a flower girl and have been to many weddings w/o these, no I did not have a 'no kids' wedding. My husbands best man and my brides maid bore our rings and since when I had finished walking down the isle we were next to them it worked out nicely. :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• because maybe the person really wanted to support the wedding party and had no baby sitter or the baby sitter cancelled? unless your kids are ruing up in the middle of my vows, i wouldn't care about kids, but to each their own
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009