how can i get my 9 mo to sleep more at night and in his crib

marinewife_84

Asked by marinewife_84 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well just put him in his crib every time it is time to sleep. If may take a week or more but he will adjust. And getting him to sleep longer.....how long is longer? Do not go in and tend to him right away when he cries. Give him 5 or 10 minutes and see if he calms down and goes back to sleep. It is hard but the end result is worth it. And just to let you know, my son did not sleep straight through the night, I'm talking 10 to 12 hours until he was a little over 12 months old.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Good luck. Do you like to sleep alone or do you like to sleep with someone? Babies like to sleep with their moms. Babies have been sleeping with their moms up until recent times. In most places in the world babies sleep with their moms.

It's normal for a 9 month old baby to still be nursing one or more times at night. My 13 mo grandson nurses several times at night. It's not desirable for human babies to sleep 8-11 hours without waking like people expect. Those are the babies to worry about.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• One thing we did do, and it had nothing to do with trying to get my son to sleep through the night, was this. I was home visiting my parents for a month. So I got him a big soft blanket that was just his....my niece who is a month younger was there a lot too. But only gave him this blanket when sleeping, so when on plane he had that blanket. Then once back in our own home had that same blanket at every nap and bedtime....and oddly enough, now when he wakes up he is in there playing peek a boo with that blanket or is holding it when he stands up to get out of the crib. Before we just use whatever blankets I grabbed from the drawer. It at least gave him some kind of familiarity and possibly some security.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• gailll- my son is just fine and he goes to sleep in his bed at 9 at night then wakes up at 8. He sleeps all night and never fusses durring the night. He is only 4 months old. He has also been sleeping this long since he was about 2 and a half months old. I talked to my doctor about it and he told me that if he is not waking up to eat then let him sleep because his weight gain is great for a baby his age. So unless his doctor tells me otherwise im leaving my son alone. Im not sure how to get them to sleep longer they know how much sleep they need. My son was always in his crib. He has never slept in our bed or our room. I didnt want to have to break him of sleeping with mommy and daddy. Good luck. Just set him in his crib when its time for bed and give him 1 15 min to wind down and go to sleep. You might have to rock him to sleep then set him down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2009