Do cockroaches bite?

I asked a question about how to get rid of cockroaches (they're everywhere in my apartment) and someone mentioned something about them biting my daughter! I've never heard of roaches biting... can they?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• I have lived in Alabama for a year and a half now....and they and palmetto bugs are everywhere. Never heard the ones here bite. Not sure about other breeds. Ants bite...IDK. If you live in an environment where the roaches are at year round you will most likely have to hire an exterminator to come quite a bit on a regular basis then slow down their visits to keep them away. When I lived in Pennsylvania most my life, I moved to a small home that had the tiny ones in it when I moved in. It was spring time, and my gramma told me to mix sugar with Borax, even half and half mix, and sprinkle it on the outside of the house. Around the perimiter around the home. Now I also got those traps and had the land lord do 2 bug bombs before moving in. All 3 or just 1 worked, but what a pain in the butt. The sugar and borax also works great with ants. But it does kill the grass where it lays.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Certain types can. What type do you have? Oriental cockroaches are called water bugs. American cockroaches are the type you don't want to have.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/DK1003.html

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I've never heard of them biting, but I have heard of them crawling into ears and causing problems that way.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• palmetto bug and american cockroach are the same thing and they can get huge! i live in alabama too & they're everywhere, they live in pine straw and there are alot of pine trees here but when it rains they come out and try to find shelter GROSS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It looks like I have several kinds. Gross! I hate this :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• One thing to keep in mind is that they are bad this year for some reason...you do not have to be a 'dirty' person to get them...they could be coming from a neighbor or just looking for a home and you were it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• thats true about above poster. i used to live in the city, and my home was neat and clean and i had a lot of roaches courtesy of my neighbor. Now i live in the mountains and no roaches never even seen one, i think thats because all the spiders and hawks and other animals up here eat them, lol
    Anonymous