sometimes when i pump i barely get anything!

I don't pump often, just when I have to go somewhere and need to leave my dd with my husband. Sometimes I pump and get almost nothing. I know I produce plenty for my dd so why does it seem like I'm empty sometimes?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For some women, pumps are not an effective way to get milk out. No matter what you try. Have you tried hand expression?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm the same way. You never pump as much as you produce when your baby is breastfeeding.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I bf my son for almost three years, but I could never get anything when I pumped. I know I made enough, but could not get more than maybe an ounce a side when I pumped. I was even asked by a friend to donate breastmilk and set up a pumping schedule and was taking herbs to boost production but I still could not get any with a pump.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i'm happy you realize it ISNT YOU! i produced a lot, yet I could only pump a 3 oz bottle when engorged. the pump is a machine! it's no match for the natural stimulation your baby provides. best time to pump is usually in the morning or whenever you feel engorged and your baby isny hungry at the moment.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I know it is crazy, but watch your daughter while you pump, imagine holding her and just think about how precious she is and what it is like to hold her in your arms. That is the only way I could pump milk with my 2nd son.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have BF 2 children...the first one for 18 months, the second for nearly 11 months and I have never been able to get more than an ounce to 2 ounces from both breasts combined when pumping.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The only time I've gotten any real amount of milk with a pump is when my son is eating off the other breast. I get 3 oz that way, otherwiseI only get 1/2 an oz - 1 oz.

Machines are not equal to babies.. I let down for the pump after like 5 minutes of pumping and it won't let down at all unless it's been atleast 45 minutes since he ate, it takes my son 20 seconds to get letdown, and he can get another letdown after 10-15 minutes when he clusterfeeds before bed.

You aren't the only one and like others and I have said, it's because it's a machine not a baby.

I did find a trick to get a good bit extra. When you're pumping.. pull off and go back on repeatedly at the end. Like, put it on - unlatch - put it on - unlatch. For some reason that helps get a little bit more.

I'm curious if you're letting down at all for it since sometimes you only get trickles. Try a nipple guard that might encourage let down.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2009