A question about water breaking....

When I had my first daughter the doctor broke my water, and lightly scratched the top of her head. I am having a second baby and I am wonderring if the water has to break. By this I mean, if you r water hasn't broken once your fully dialated and affaced can you still have your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No there is no real need to break the water at all, if it doesn't break the baby can be born in the caul. With both my babies the water broke on its own right before pushing.
    Artificial rupture of the water is not only useless it does come with some risks especially if its done when the baby has not engaged into the birth canal yet. The biggest risk is that of cord prolapse (when the cord comes out before the baby) and that is a reason for immediate c-section.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes, they will just have to break the water after she is out. Most of the time, they will break it just before you push anyway
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• They will have to break it again for the water to break. I was induced with my first, and from them putting the little monitors on his head he had scabs, you sure they cut or marks wasn't from that? Good luck.....I am in the hospital waiting for the birth of our second and thought the other day that if I am induced, I hope this time there aren't the scabs for this baby. So I know where you are coming from.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yes you can have your baby without your water breaking (or being broken). maybe you should consider finding a midwife who would be more likely to consider your wishes than an OB :) good luck! of course many midwives will break your water too but you can talk to them about why they are doing it, what are the pros and cons, and then decide if you actually want them to. i didn't have to even consider it because my water happened to break before i went into labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Breaking your water is just a convenience to hurry labor up. Most of the time it will break some time in transition labor, but if not the baby can be born with the sac intact with no risk to baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009