not bringing child in warm clothes

the child i keep is 2 years old the parents bring the child to me in capris (he is a boy) and short sleeves and no coat not even socks on his feet and they put sandals in his diaper bag It was 56 yesterday morning and only got up to 61 shouldn't they know he needs warm clothes

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say something. Some parents forget that they have to 'feel' the weather for their child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would ask if he has warmer clothes because it's getting really cold. Do you have children or anything you could hand down to him? or suggest a store that may not be to expensive to buy some pants and a coat.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would also say something to the parents - as a parent with a child in home daycare, I provide a few different outfits for each week - in case the weather changes and she needs to put warmer or cooler clothes on my baby. along with extra socks, bibs etc. Maybe you can do a check list for the parent of things that you would like to have on hand in case of weather change, accidents, etc. ?

chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• have them leave extra clothes at your house, along with jacket, mittens, and hat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Some parents think that if they are okay outside in shorts and sandals, their little one will be too. They don't realize a baby/toddler can get much colder. Talk to them and also see if they can leave a sweater, socks and regular shoes with you or at least keep them in his bag daily. That way, if it turns off too cold, they are there in a pinch.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have to say as a person that is always hot, when my oldest was little it took sometime for me to adjust to dressing him for the weather outside. I would often feel it was warm enough and not worry about coats and such. Once I did realize it, I now lean toward the other side of the spectrum and over dress my kids.
    She just may not realize how chilly he is. A nice reminder may be helpful. If you remind her and she still doesn't dress him appropriately then insist she leaves a coat and warmer clothes at your house.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Agree with previous posters. Next time she picks up her child, a friendly "Could you please bring him a jacket? It got kind of chilly and we couldn't play outside today" reminder might work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i agree with pp. i knew a couple that when they had a newborn that was born in dec in NY they would only put a sweater on him and a knit cap. northern ny winters can get down to single digits and i would cringe everytime i saw that poor baby with nothing on but his outfit and a sweater, oh they would throw a blanket on him too. I used to bundle up my baby with his outfit, sweater winter coat with feet, hat and a blanket. so that really bothered me as well. Just talk to the mom about bringing him a jacket and some socks.
    Anonymous