Chiuahuas and Children

My 4yr old son wants a chiuahua puppy, really really bad. He won't even look at other breeds. We plan to get him a puppy for Christmas. Problem is, I've heard so many people say that chiuahuas are not good with kids. Do any of you have any experience, good or bad, with small kids and chiuahuas? Thanks.

sille76

Asked by sille76 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pets

• if you get it as a puppy and let it grow up knowing your son then it shouldn't be mean
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We had one and had to find him a new home when our daughter was born. he didn't like children, but wouldn't attack or bite. They scared him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• "if you get it as a puppy and let it grow up knowing your son then it shouldn't be mean "

This is not always true. My sister had a rat terrier since she was weaned and she was mean to all the kids...snapped, growled, chased them. She had to crate the dog most of the time and finally found it another home.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Any dog can be good with kids so long as they're raised properly, together in a supervised environment. I would definitely get a standard chihuahua, not a toy because they are not one of the sturdiest breeds to begin with. When you look at puppies, make sure that the parent's are good with children and that the puppy responds well to your son. Otherwise I don't see any issues, just keep a close eye on them at all times and make sure the puppy has "safe place" like a kennel to go to when it needs a break.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The big issues are the fact that children can be really scary to a little dog, and children are often too rough with a little, breakable dog. Have you thought about explaining to him about animal shelters and how many doggies need homes in them? Explain that and maybe he will settle on a dog that really needs a home instead.
    I had 2 friends that had them when I was a kid, one it was a well trained dog that was fine around us. The other (several years later) was a neurotic little thing that gave me the only dog bite I have ever gotten.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We had a chihuahua when my oldest was born. We had no problem with him and her cause we showed her how to treat the dog gently. We did end up having to get rid of him because I was babysitting my sister sd and and friends little girl and they kept chasing the dog no matter how many times I told them not to or how much they got in trouble. I was afraid they was going to push him to the point of bitting(he never did). So you can get one and not have any problems but it isn't the norm.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 11:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Kids are not good with Chihuahuas which makes Chihuahuas not good with children. These are small, fragile (physically and emotionally). It takes a proper balance to make something like this work. Chihuahuas like to be held, but they don't like to be carted around but the neck or waist and they certainly don't like to be dropped. They also don't like to be shoved on a bed and told to stay there while a kid drives a toy truck all around them. It can work if you take the role as leader of the pack - but you have to teach your child the proper way to handle a little dog- and first you have to know the proper way. If you know and you can teach your child, then it's fine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Chihuahuas are not kid dogs. They pretty much are lap dogs that get attached to a single owner. They are usually too delicate for kids (but not always), depending on the size. I would find another breed if I were you. Maybe a Jack Russel or a Beagle. I love chi's, my mom and sister both have them, but again, they are not for kids.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Every case is different, as is every dog but there is some truth to the hua huas and children not being compatible. It CAN work but it's not very common. I got a huahua raised her from 5 weeks old up till she was 2 and those 2 years were FULL of biting, attacking ( she never has drawn blood but damn it she tries) parinoia and problems. She's a wonderful dog and my son never really bothered her but she HATED him. I read the breed was bad with kids but didn't listen and thought I would take a chance. I am just thankful I had a family member that has no kids that instantly loved her and the love was mutual with them both. She's better with my kids now that she doesnt see them daily. They just stressed her out bad.
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 11:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I've had a couple chihuahuas that were very good with kids. It depends on the individual dog as much as the breed. They do tend to be neurotic little dogs, so definitely don't surprise your son with one that you get before you have a chance to see how the puppy interacts with him, let him meet the litter and pick one that isn't shy or scared with him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2009