schedules..

how often and how much should my 5 mo old be eating/sleeping?? oh and how much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• feed him when he is hungry and sleep when he's tired that's a little early for a schedule imo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Is he/she breastfed or bottle feeding? That makes a big difference in what to expect. Otherwise so long as they are happy, having frequent wet diapers and growing it doesn't really matter. They will eat/sleep when they need to, schedules are created by parents not babies and are way overrated.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Mine is 10 months now so let me think... I think she was eating 4-6oz when she ate. I would guess she was eating about every 4 hrs or so. Sleeping was/is morning nap, afternoon nap, and she would about half the time wake up in the night wanting a bottle but she would sleep around 8-10 hours or so at night. I hope that helps you out a little. That age is still very much feed them when they want until they don't want anymore and let them sleep when they look tired.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Breast or bottle doesn't matter! Feed on demand, sleep on demand.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 6 months old (yesterday!) and we have her on a pretty set schedule. she eats 6-8 oz at a time, usually every four-five hours. I/2 jar of vegs. for dinner around 530, then gets a 7 oz bottle with rice cereal and applesauce at 900. Shes in bed by 930 everynight and she's been sleeping in her own room/crib since 1 month old. She sleeps through the night, on the days when she's not at daycare (im a working full time mom) we mostly feed on demand but she still sticks to her own schedule. I'm a believer in routines, bash away if you must, but they need to know that they're expectations will be met. OH-takes two naps, 10 am and 3 pm. :) sorry if it didn't really answer! :)
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 12:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When my son was 5 months old he breastfed every 1 1/2-2 hours and he took two naps of an 1 1/2 - 2 hours long and slept for 9 hours at night waking two or three times to breastfeed.

If you're bottlefeeding, I would imagine it's something like however many oz. every 3 hours or so and probably should sleep similarly with or without waking up to eat.

If growth spurts or milestone achieving are going on it can change how often / how much they eat OR sleep for a few days. Teething can also affect it.

I didn't put him on a schedule, he just was that way. Feed/sleep how much/how often your baby wants to.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009