Parental Pet Peeves

What is something you dislike/hate that other parents do? It might not be that bad, but it gets under your skin?

I dislike when parents let their children run around restaurants. It isn't the end of the world, but definitely a pet peeve of mine.

jillybean6781

Asked by jillybean6781 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it's not only a pet peeve of mine, but it's very dangerous. i'm a waitress, and when i'm truckin' it through the restaraunt, i am not looking down at kid level. i have to keep my eyes up to make sure i am not going to bump into anything, or walk head on into another server.

not only is it dangerous for me, but it's incredibly dangerous for children. i wonder if many parents remember that we are carrying hot coffee, hot soup/food, heavy dinnerware, and sharp objects right above the heads of their children. i have had many kids run right into my legs, and one even tripped me.

i had to ask two kids to quit throwing rocks during the wait for their table the other day. i never even saw their parents.

please for the safety of your children, and everyone else in the establishment, watch your children. i would feel just awful if one of them got hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yeah i agree with you on that one, my dd is 3 and she's never acted like that in public...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I hate that my sister is always getting mad at her girls for little things they do. I know they are a handful but she yells at them so much, they tune her out now!
    Anonymous

• I hate when parents are super anal about schedules...while I am a scheduler and the kids have the same general schedule every day, there are some times when you can bend the rules a bit...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Running around in restaurants, and grocery stores as well. I have seen 11 year olds running around stores, and its just frustrating. At that age they're more than old enough to understand they can't behave like that.

Ignoring a screaming child in a shopping cart to teach him a lesson. I would rather be able to shop in peace than have to hear your parenting tactic scream his head off.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• wow, could be a big list here! Peeves: when parents say no several times, then give in to what the child whines for. parents who let their kids wail and scream in, say, a restrant-take them out! kids who run, throw things, yell in restraunts. parents who tell their kids no all the time, belittle thier kids in public (which leads you to think they do it at home too), or are just plain meanies. parents who let their kids be mean, rude, and abusive to them (why they heck do some let their kids hit them, or curse at them?). "baby talk" to a toddler or older.oh yes, and a biggie...parents who don't respect other peoples homes with their kids. I don't let my own kids eat outside of our kitchen, i don't want your kids running around my house (with light colored carpet, and brand new furniature) with grape juice, sticky candy, and messy food!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 1. Hitting kids period, but especially in public.
    2. Letting their kids play outside unattended or not keeping up with where older kids are.
    3. Leaving their kids with bad people so they can go party. (Druggies, drunks)
    4. Paying more attention to their needs over the kids' needs.
    5. Yelling at their kids in public.
    6. Letting kids run around stores/eateries
    7. People who think all crying or kids having a meltdown are bad.
    8. Getting mad at every little thing kids do.
    9. Parents who have the 'I'm the boss, hear me roar' mentality. Driving fear into their kids.
    10. Parents who don't just let their kids be kids.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009