Best small breed dog for small kids

We plan to get my 4yr old son a puppy for Christmas. He really wants a chiuahua, but I don't think its the best choice for small children. Can anyone suggest a good small to medium sized breed that would be good for kids? My husband says no poodles, but poodle mixes would be ok.

sille76

Asked by sille76 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pets

• boston terrier. they are family pets.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We have a Mini-Poodle/Cocker Spaniel mix (Cockapoo). He's a wonderful dog! He's playful when you want to play, calm when you want him to be and so very tolerant with the kids.

My neighbor has a Maltese, and her dog is also very good with the kids.
    absmama

Answer by absmama at 12:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• basset houndsHardy 1, Male $400 From Pa

Anonymous

• chiuahuah's are aggressive. boston terriers are good with children, pugs are also very good but they shed alot. i would get a medium sized dog b/c sometimes kids can be rough and not mean to. try to google medium breed dogs and read up on some you think you might like, there will be info on if they are good with kids. also, small breed dogs have alot of dental issues so be prepared when the dog gets older to be paying the big vet bill. medium dogs arent so bad just make sure you keep there teeth clean and give them a bone or something to knaw on.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have a basset hound mutt. she is sweet, medium sized, and great with food. I rescued her from a shelter. I made sure to touch his tail to see how she'd react. she is also sturdy enough that when my son is climbing on her she can take it. He doesn't mean to be rough, but it happens. Hope that helps.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Beagles are very good with children, require very little grooming, have few genetic health problems, and are easy to train.

Pugs, boston's, and other smashed face dogs will have breathing issues. They should not be walked by a collar, they need a harness to protect their delicate necks. Especially bc children are still learning about pet care.

Anything with long hair (poodle mixes, yorkie mixes, maltese mixes, etc) will need to go to the groomer every 6 weeks. They are expensive dogs to keep clean/ trimmed. Don't expect that your child can brush the dog correctly to prevent mats. Most adults can't.

Collie mixes from the pound or a rescue are great dogs. Border collie mixes are everywhere and they are amazing family pets: little grooming, highly trainable, gentle, low instance of health problems. Mixed breeds of all kinds have fewer health and temperament problems,
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would recomend a lab. Our lab we had wasn't big at all.. Only 35 lbs and was SOO awesome with children. She was sweet and loving and very playful, but also took naps with our kids. I would go that route because with small dogs, they can get hurt by small children by them falling on them. Also, a boxer, which is a little bigger than I think you would like, but they are super good with children and very protective. gl!
    Anonymous

• There are many mixed breeds that are small to medium that would be wonderful pets. I would got a shelter that truly gets to know the animals and can help you find the right fit. I may get bashed for this but don't go to a "breeder" if you are thinking Poodle mix there are plenty of Poodle mixes at the shelter that are a whole lot cheaper then this desighner dog fad. As smaller dogs go i like Bassett hounds, Shelties and corgies There are a lot of good dogs out there terriors acn be very high strung and active but there is always an exception to the rule. I have met many dogs that did fit the normal breed description. I would recommned you take on of those dog quizzes to get an idea and research the breeds throughly of the one you like the looks of

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Check into a sheltie or a corgi. Both are smallish medium size dogs that are easy (well easier than usual) to train and play nice with kids.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We have a boston terrier and he is really good with the kids!!
    Spoots31

Answer by Spoots31 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009