Has your child ever had Fifth Disease?

I have never heard of this until yesterday when my son brought a note home saying that he "may" have been exposed to it. (My son is 3) and I was just wondering if it just starts out as a fever or what....what should I look for? Any suggestions/ help is GREATLY Appreciated...do I have to worry about getting it?? Can I prevent it? AHHH!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not the same as hand foot and mouth....completely different actually.
    My oldest had it in kindergarten. Starts with a fever, no other apparent symptoms usually. After the fever goes away they will get a rash of small red bumps, usually on the back, arms and torso. The cheeks usually look red like they have been out in the cold for a while. Only lasts a couple of days and aside from the fever there is not usually much to watch for other than the little rash bumps. Only lasts a couple of days. Doesn't itch or anything like that either. GL to you darlin.
    Anonymous

• fever and rash on the cheeks, it's also called hand-foot-mouth disease google it
    Anonymous

• I had it when I was in elementary school. I got sent home and went to the doctor, just had a rash on my face. I can't remember much considering it was over 10 years ago lol but I do remember it was nothing serious and I was back in school in a day or 2.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Fifth's disease is NOT the same as hand foot and mouth.

It's one of those things that most kids get, and sometimes it's so mild that the parent's don't even notice. They usually run a low grade fever and get a non-itchy rash on their cheeks, sometimes they will get a fine, red, itchy rash on their bodies as well.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my son had it when he was a little over 1. the doctor said it was very common and was really nothing to worry about.i dont really remember what the symptoms were tho..i just know the doctor acted like it was nothing.
    nillamilkshake

Answer by nillamilkshake at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009